Diamond Viper V550?

G

Geoff

The computer store I am planning to get my new computer at can only get me a Viper V550 or the one from Creative. I have heard people say that these two companies are sloppy about bringing out new drivers, but gamepc.com disagrees:

Drivers Support: nVidia likes to release a lot of driver upgrades. I expect them to continue to do so. Diamond stays on top of the drviers that chip manufacturers release. This area continues to be a strong point of both companies.

Basically if a V550 will work on a K6-2 system, I'd rather buy everything from the wrong place. Why is it that everybody likes the 4400?

G

Geoff

or maybe I should get the Spectra 2500, a little more expensive but it might be worth it if it gives me fewer problems.

C

Chanse

I bought a Velocity 4400 for the simple reason that STB is a much more consumer friendly and helpful company than Diamond. Their driver updates are much hmore solid. and the cmpany is easier to contact should you ever encounter a problem.

A

akers

I installed an early V550 back in late August. It has been great. No conflicts, no crashes. Diamond has updated the drivers and they are stable as well.

G

Geoff

All of the reviews I have read are very complimentary about the V550. I think because nvidia provides reference drivers, it's very easy for Diamond to bring out their own. May as well use the nvidia drivers, they have a greater incentive to provide good performance. Diamond probably just slaps their logo on the nvidia drivers, the V550 is basically the same as the TNT reference board design.