Dell Inspiron 15 - Hard Drive Replacement

G

ggalv

It looks like the hard drive on a laptop does not work. The computer does not boot up and during the Dell Backup and Recover I am getting the following message:

Error 0x400 110020000 100A
If this issue persist, please contact Dell Support.

Then in the ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment, I get the following:
Hard Drive 0 - S/N 44A8S4ELS, Short Test unsuccessful

Error Code: 2000-0142
Validation: 71653

I am assuming this hard drive no longer works?

I have the Dell OS Recovery and Restore USB Key. Do I need to buy the same hard drive or can I just get any type of hard drive to be able to use the USB Key?

Attached is the picture of the hard drive. Appreciate suggestions on a hard drive replacement from Amazon. I am a little confused because the label has both "Serial ATA" and "SATA".

Thanks

Attachments

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

SATA = Serial ATA

Yes, it's dead. The specs for it are:

Toshiba MQ01ABF050 500GB 5.4K 2.5" 7mm 6.0 Gb/s SATA Hard Drive
  • Capacity: 500GB.
  • Speed: 5,400RPM.
  • Interface Types: SATA.
  • Form Factor: 2.5inx7mm Fits All laptops.
  • Sector Size: 512 / 512e.
  • Electrical Interface: SATA 600 - 6.0Gbps.
  • On-Board Cache: 8MB.
So, it can be replaced with a normal 2.5" x 7mm thick SATA Hard Drive or SSD. (Recommend a SSD).

C

cliffsthern78

Sorry about the hard drive situation, man. Seconding SpywareDr on the SSD if you can spare a few more bucks, it's worth it for the speed. This should help you decide if you're torn on what to choose.

P

Pleake

You don't necessarily have to look for the same hard drive. Canvass what is compatible for your device and what would best suit your needs. An SSD will make the system incredibly fast but you will also have to make do with little memory. Does not prevent you from using another hard drive though.

C

cliffsthern78

SATA = Serial ATA

Yes, it's dead. The specs for it are:

Toshiba MQ01ABF050 500GB 5.4K 2.5" 7mm 6.0 Gb/s SATA Hard Drive
  • Capacity: 500GB.
  • Speed: 5,400RPM.
  • Interface Types: SATA.
  • Form Factor: 2.5inx7mm Fits All laptops.
  • Sector Size: 512 / 512e.
  • Electrical Interface: SATA 600 - 6.0Gbps.
  • On-Board Cache: 8MB.
So, it can be replaced with a normal 2.5" x 7mm thick SATA Hard Drive or SSD. (Recommend a SSD).
Better get SSD 256gb or 528gb

Technoplume

Technoplume

Probably late in the game, but make sure there is no limitation on the SATA port for the size of HD you can use. I ran in to that in the past, some laptop cut resource to save money here and there, always check the user manual 1st.

Associates