Dead Duron?

crane

crane

flaccid member
Hey, My Duron is chipped on 3 sides of the core. I know this can kill a AMD,but surely not mine.

System won't start, diagnostic LED's indicate malfunctioning CPU but the old Duron still heats up. Is this normal?
I did the old ram r & r, video card,cpu r & r,cleared cmos,pressed insert while booting, 12 + voltage is good, 5+ likewise.

Has to be it finally died.....huh? Anyone here kill a AMD by chipping it to death? Did it still heat up?
I don't feel like removing my H2O block from my Athlon to test this darn thing.But,I may have to do it.......

------------------

dirt rules

D

DuronClocker

I've had more than a handful of these die on me, and all had the same signs as you

------------------
MSI K7T Turbo-R w/ 2.35v/4.05v mods
Certified as "Turbo2-R" by me
AthlonXP 1600+ @1700+ @ 1.55v
256MB Corsair PC150 CL3 - hopefully MushkinREV3 soon
Diamond TNT2 Viper V770 @ 160/220

W

Wuzup101

I have a chipped one that still works
; however, I was nice enough to only chip one corner not 3...how the heck did you do that?

------------------
AXIA T-Bird 1ghz @ 1425mhz w/ Alpha 8045
Iwill KK266-R
384mb Crucial pc133 @ 150mhz cas2
Radeon 8500 (290/290)
2x 20gig 60GXP Raid0
Antec 1040 series w/ 431watt Enermax whisper

USSVoyager

USSVoyager

Excuse the name
Trying to make it symmetrical again?

------------------
Gin - The driver's choice

crane

crane

flaccid member
Well my friends, its like this....
When I bought the Duron about a year ago,I purchased a Vantec HSF and installed it. Then I switched to watercooling. Its just been around the block a few times.

The first chip was just a sliver along one side, no problem. Smaller pieces,just tiny fragments seemed to flake off of the original chippage.
I'm not a clumsy oaf and I do practice safe HSF installation,but shit happens.

I'm curious what is the deciding factor in the chip dying due to cracked core. I mean it worked fine until the last tiny fragment came off. What was so special about that piece and not the other ones? Hmmmmmmm? Perhaps I can perform surgey on it.
Oh wait.. I forgot that I lost the damned Duron somewhere. I've looked everywhere to no avail.

------------------

dirt rules

Glok

Glok

Lifeform
Originally posted by crane:
Oh wait.. I forgot that I lost the damned Duron somewhere. I've looked everywhere to no avail.
ROFL! You lost the damn thing? Then forget it.. dead Duron goes bye-bye.

I've oc'ed my duron so that it wouldn't boot, but it always comes back. It seems every time I get drunk, I mess with it, but it is still living.
Highest I ever had this little crapster was 1020MHz.

------------------
Duron [email protected] 1.6V
Abit KT7A-Raid
Tt SuperOrb
256MB Hyundai ram @140 cas2
2x30GB 75GXP's - RAID 0
MSI GF2 Pro @ 220/440
SBLive!
2 NICs
Fong-Kai FK320 case
Enlight 300W psu
Win98SE

crane

crane

flaccid member
Update: Duron found !

I think the cat had it....it was under the sofa. Only thing I can think of as I didn't put the chip there.
How he managed to smack it under there without it flipping over and the pin side snagging the carpet I don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to try to make it go one mo time. If it fails to post,Then I will go tommorow and pick up an XP. A moderate priced one, perhaps a 1700 or an 1800.

------------------

dirt rules

W

Wuzup101

Well I say you make a keychain
Duron keychains are stylish!

------------------
AXIA T-Bird 1ghz @ 1425mhz w/ Alpha 8045
Iwill KK266-R
384mb Crucial pc133 @ 150mhz cas2
Radeon 8500 (290/290)
2x 20gig 60GXP Raid0