DDR3 Matching

Technoplume

Technoplume

Hi,

I'm looking in to advise for Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 AND CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 to make them work together.

I originally purchase the 1866C9, and a year later a good friend build a gamming rig, and he didn't like the 1600C9 and gave them to me.
I saw they where compatible with my rig but the have slightly different timming. I try them a few time in the PC, but without modification.
They will work and sometimes the PC will just freeze. I try a few times to make sure, and using the 1866 set only, the system is extremely stable.

Any way I reach the point where I need 16Gb in the PC. So before I buy a new set and throw a couple of 100, on a old rig, I'm wondering if there would be a way to make those 2 set work together.

I was never big on ocing my rig, but I got the fancy Mobo cause of the 5 year warranty ( that I got replacement 4 year down the warranty ).

I'm running the 1gen Sabertooth 990fx and I have 8 core 8300+, I run the OS on a revo Drive 350 PCIe 16x (250GB) and have recently upgraded to a Nvidia lightning 770 GTX (courtesy of the same friend a few month ago). Also got A Corsair 850ix PSU, very nice PSU.

The main difference in the RAM timing I can find are 9-10-9-27 and 9-9-9-24 respectively.

I'm thinking to force the 1866 to be lower in timing to try to match the 1600.

Any other suggestion ?

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I'd suggest setting your BIOS to the speed and timings of the 1600MHz kit (so 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24).

Technoplume

Technoplume

Feel a little stupid after all these year, I had try to ram module before but I was getting BSOD, so I pull them out. I went in the Bios like u said and I saw the system was already using the 9-9-9-24 but it was on auto. So I switch it to not be auto but use the value. I guess it told the mobo not to switch between the 2 ram module setting....

That's like basic I should have seen that before. I any case, tx for confirming :3

Technoplume

Technoplume

True, but since the 2 module are not exactly identical, and the mobo don't seem to be able to manage the ram module separately. In Auto mode the computer would crash randomly when playing games or using more then 4Gb of memory. So far since I put the setting manually, the computer has not crash since June.

Associates