DDR3 Matching

Technoplume

Technoplume

Hi,

I'm looking in to advise for Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 AND CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 to make them work together.

I originally purchase the 1866C9, and a year later a good friend build a gamming rig, and he didn't like the 1600C9 and gave them to me.
I saw they where compatible with my rig but the have slightly different timming. I try them a few time in the PC, but without modification.
They will work and sometimes the PC will just freeze. I try a few times to make sure, and using the 1866 set only, the system is extremely stable.

Any way I reach the point where I need 16Gb in the PC. So before I buy a new set and throw a couple of 100, on a old rig, I'm wondering if there would be a way to make those 2 set work together.

I was never big on ocing my rig, but I got the fancy Mobo cause of the 5 year warranty ( that I got replacement 4 year down the warranty ).

I'm running the 1gen Sabertooth 990fx and I have 8 core 8300+, I run the OS on a revo Drive 350 PCIe 16x (250GB) and have recently upgraded to a Nvidia lightning 770 GTX (courtesy of the same friend a few month ago). Also got A Corsair 850ix PSU, very nice PSU.

The main difference in the RAM timing I can find are 9-10-9-27 and 9-9-9-24 respectively.

I'm thinking to force the 1866 to be lower in timing to try to match the 1600.

Any other suggestion ?

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I'd suggest setting your BIOS to the speed and timings of the 1600MHz kit (so 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24).

Technoplume

Technoplume

Feel a little stupid after all these year, I had try to ram module before but I was getting BSOD, so I pull them out. I went in the Bios like u said and I saw the system was already using the 9-9-9-24 but it was on auto. So I switch it to not be auto but use the value. I guess it told the mobo not to switch between the 2 ram module setting....

That's like basic I should have seen that before. I any case, tx for confirming :3

Associates