My specs:
PII 400
128Mb pc100
Asus P3B-F Mainboard
Creative GeForce DDR
Diamond Monster MX300
Dlink Ethernet Card
Advansys SCSI-2 Card for CDRW

The heatsink just touches the middle part of the CPU and has one fan. There is no thermal paste or anything but there is a small grey sticker stuck on. A technician sub-contracted by Quantex fit the fan when he was replacing a noisy PSU (?).

I am having serius problems with some newer games such as Quake 3 and The Sims. The games always seem to crash after about 25-30 minutes no matter what drivers I use. After crashing, I reboot and the temperature of the CPU (using internal sensor) is about 60C - 70C. Is this too high? Could overheating be the reasing why the games lock up? I got about 1 hour out of the Sims when I took off the case and pointed a giant "office fan" at it.

Please help!

Just have to add that I've tried changing AGP Aperture and every driver version I could find from the original Creative ones to 5.08.

Yeah, that's the porb, that's WAY too hot. you should be confortable around 30-40C. I've been dealing with the same thing with my Celeron lately, it's been going above the 43C mark, and to me THAT is even getting pretty toasty. I know a CPU can get above 110F but I don't want that, I like knowing it's set around a nice 98.6F.

Celeron 366 @ 458
196 Meg. PC 100
Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
Aureal 1 Soundboard
20" NEC Multisync Monitor

Try a slot cooler. Since I installed my fan, I'm running at around 40 degrees C. A little hot, but within the zone...Only thing is that you lose a PCI slot.

The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is.............42