Cpu out of control - new problem.

H

HumanBeansauce

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but it looks like a lot of you know what you're talking about. I'm desperately seeking help as I've been playing with this for weeks trying to find a fix.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1420 with:
Intel Duo Core T8100 @2.10GHZ 2.10GHZ
4.00 GB Ram (3.5 Usable)
32 Bit Windows 7

& a Cakewalk UA-25ex USB Audio interface

Okay so here's the issue. I use this laptop almost exclusively for music production. I started out with windows Vista. I use FL Studio, Ableton Live, and some VST Plugins. Up until recently, everything worked beautifully for months. I use the cakewalk interface as an external soundcard, and was going strong with low latency.

Then pretty much out of nowhere, whenever I would open any of my projects, the cpu would jump up to 99%-100% and I'd get buffer underruns like mad. These same projects would run at about 50-60% before. Convinced it was a virus of some kind, I tried multiple system restores and then decided to try a different operating system. I wiped my HD and installed windows 7. Everything on 7 worked beautifully again. After about 3-4 days, the issue returned. I then spent days re-installing the operating system and trying to single out which of my software or vst plugins could be giving me a virus of some kind. Every time, things would work good for about 3 days and then be completely useless on the 4th day or so. Went back to XP Pro, Vista, 7 32bit and 7 64bit. All the same results. I'm back to 7 32bit because it runs the smoothest on my system. I don't really want to go back to Vista or XP. Everything else runs fine. No issues with running any other type of software. All my drivers are fine, and the CPU and RAM run perfectly with everything but FL Studio and Ableton Live. Tweaking the ASIO drivers does very little to help. With the samples turned to the max, it might play about 4 seconds of one of my projects before everything maxes out. I'm very confused because my hard drive is basically empty except for the OS, Google chrome, and FL Studio and Ableton. Running minimal programs in the background.

If anyone has any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I am not familiar with FL Studio and Ableton Live specifically. I have seen odd behavior out of other software, however, when the system would not clear out temporary files upon the closing of an application. That may have nothing to do with your particular issue, but have you checked for something like that? The easiest way to clean them out is by running CCleaner, which is a free download.

And welcome to the forum, by the way.

H

HumanBeansauce

Wow. I tried the program you linked me, and was able to get good results. Thanks a million. That might have taken care of it.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Wow. I tried the program you linked me, and was able to get good results. Thanks a million. That might have taken care of it.
Good.

CCleaner is a good little program. If your success holds, you may want to run it with some regularity. The default setting in CCleaner is that it only deletes temp files that are over 24 hours old to keep you from deleting something that a program may still be using (you can change that if you want or need to). It also has a registry cleaner function.

H

HumanBeansauce

Hey. Don't know what happened to make it work for that time that it did, but I'm not sure now that it was ccleaner. I tried my computer again this evening and it's back to the same problem. Tried using ccleaner and tried it with the 24 hour setting set to delete more recent files and didn't have the same results as before. Cpu goes crazy again. Guess I'm back to looking for solutions.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I wonder if you are having a memory leak from one or both of your programs. Do you leave your machine on for extended periods? Do you get the same results if you shut it down and then reboot?

And had anything changed when you first started having the problem? Any change of settings, any upgrade/patches of the software?

H

HumanBeansauce

Hm... I don't really leave my machine on when I'm not using it, and frequently restart or shut down. Reboots don't seem to help at all. When the problem originally came up I hadn't changed anything.

Lately it's just been that I reinstall the OS and then install my drivers and software, and it'll work fine for a few days and I feel like I've finally fixed it. But then one day when I boot up it'll be back to the problem. I leave windows update off and try to keep everything to the bare minimum. I'm now thinking about going back to vista since everything worked for the longest time on it. I just love W7 now and that would be kind of a disappointment, but my biggest priority with this machine is running that software.

H

HumanBeansauce

After some messing around today, everything started working fine on one of my bootups. I noticed though, that I had my charger unplugged. I realized I had gotten a new charger for this laptop recently, maybe around the time I started having problems, but I'm not sure exactly. The charger is a generic non-dell charger and sometimes the computer doesn't even recognize it correctly and I have to unplug and plug it back in. I started thinking maybe that had something to do with it. I tried booting the computer with it plugged in but it still functioned properly. But I did notice that when I unplugged and plugged in the charger while running my software, the cpu would spike up to 99% for a few seconds like it did during the problems.

Has anyone ever heard of a generic charger causing these types of problems with cpu? It seems like it could be an answer to why my computer has been doing this stuff, but I'm not sure.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

After some messing around today, everything started working fine on one of my bootups. I noticed though, that I had my charger unplugged. I realized I had gotten a new charger for this laptop recently, maybe around the time I started having problems, but I'm not sure exactly. The charger is a generic non-dell charger and sometimes the computer doesn't even recognize it correctly and I have to unplug and plug it back in. I started thinking maybe that had something to do with it. I tried booting the computer with it plugged in but it still functioned properly. But I did notice that when I unplugged and plugged in the charger while running my software, the cpu would spike up to 99% for a few seconds like it did during the problems.

Has anyone ever heard of a generic charger causing these types of problems with cpu? It seems like it could be an answer to why my computer has been doing this stuff, but I'm not sure.
Curious as to whether you had any movement on this issue. Did you determine the process loading up the CPU?

Associates