Copying file on disk slows pc to a crawl.

S

steven01

I might not t have the fastest computer but I have a intel 3.0ghz with 1 gig of ram. This system should'nt be so slow when just doing a simple .rar file extraction or when copying a large file. It almost seems like processor speed doesn't matter. I bet if I even had one of those new intel processors I would still have this problem. So what can I do about it? Is this a problem that everyone has? Thanks.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Is your harddrive SATA or IDE? If it's IDE, check the Device Manager and look under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Check the properties of each IDE Channel and make sure DMA is enabled. Actually, even if the drives are SATA but you don't have the AHCI drivers installed, check for DMA.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
If this is a newer motherboard with the ICH8 chip, then the motherboard uses a third party chipset to give one channel for IDE drives. When you install the driver for this third party chipset (usually always shows up under SCSI devices and is made by JMicron) instead of using the generic IDE driver from Microsoft, it makes all of your drives run very slow.