Coolermaster HHC-L61 with 60mm YS-Tech 4200rpm vs SLK-800 with 80mm Papst 2050rpm

A

Arris

Well after looking into watercooling I think I'll go with the ThermalRight SLK-800 and a papst 80mm fan. Now currently my YS-Tech is running as follows:

- Speed - 4200RPM
- Output - 26CFM
- Decibels - 36dBA
- Dimensions - 60x60x25

The papst fans I'm looking at are:

- Speed - 2050RPM
- Output - 26.5CFM
- Decibels - 19dBA
- Dimensions - 80x80x25

Or

- Speed - 3100RPM
- Output 40.6CFM
- Decibels - 32dBA
- Dimensions - 80x80x25

At the moment I don't really feel that the supposed 36dBA that my YS-Tech puts out is anywhere near "whisper quiet" but my 2100+ AIUHB @ 2171Mhz is kept well in check by the current heatsink. But since this computer is to be used for gaming and as a HTPC I am wanting it a bit quieter. Just wondering if I could get away with the 2050rpm Papst on the SLK-800 and get at least the same performance as the current HSF. Or should I go for the 3100RPM? I don't want to change and end up with the same temperature and same noise!
Any informed opinions would be welcome. Unfortunately most sites reviews I have read seem to pair the SLK-800 with the default Delta fan which is just hellish, so I can't get a decent idea of performance with a reasonably quiet fan....

Thanks for any info/link/donations of watercooling kits ;)

A

Arris

Just found that the Silent YS-Tech 80mm fan at 1950rpm does 27CFM and is about half the price of the papst so I think I'll end up getting that. Any testiments about the cooling prowess of the SLK-800 with quiet fans would be nice...

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Is it just me, or do 80mm fans rock? Especially the silent ones that can supply more airflow than the noisier ones.

My adjustable 80mm fan on my Thermalright SK-6+ keeps my processor nice and cool, which keeping noise levels down :)

S

stevvie

Where are you guy's getting your fans from and what model numbers are they. I was just about to post a topic asking where to get good fans in the uk and which ones to get. As mine have started to whine and are not BB fans just sleeved.

A

Arris

Well I just ordered SLK-800 and a YS-Tech Silent 80mm fan from www.overclockers.co.uk simply because I couldn't find any other reasonably major place to get myself an SLK-800. Another decent online place in the UK to get fans from is www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk which has quite often, better prices than overclockers but a different range...

NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak

rm -rf /
I have an SLK-800 with a thermaltake 80mm 2900 RPM 37 CFM fan. It states 30db on the package. I can't even hear it with the case side on. It puts out a low whirr when I can see it, not one of those high pitched whines.

A

Arris

Originally posted by NewBlackDak
I have an SLK-800 with a thermaltake 80mm 2900 RPM 37 CFM fan. It states 30db on the package. I can't even hear it with the case side on. It puts out a low whirr when I can see it, not one of those high pitched whines.
Thanks for the info NewBlackDak, thats all I wanted to know. The fan I'm putting on it is rated a 27CFM and 20dBA. So if this does well I'll try quieter case fans too as they probably make more noise than this new CPU fan.

Erm... by the way what CPU at what settings is the SLK-800 and thermaltake fan cooling? ;)

Last edited:
agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
I've got a Thermaltake Smart Fan II which I got when I purchased my Volcano 9 cooler last October.

It's a bloody nice fan, and is only audible when running over 3000rpm. Equipped with a Thermalright SK-6+ heatsink, my temps are never over 43ºc with the fan at 2400rpm.

A

Arris

2100+ @ 2.171(166x13) @ 1.6vCore
SLK-800 with YS-Tech Silent 80mm fan (1950rpm 20dBA)

Temperatures are lower than the HHC-L61 with 4800rpm fan!!!!!

I'd recommend the SLK-800 to anyone. It was a little bit of a fight to get it clipped on though. Screwdriver did slip a few times :eek:

Associates