Cool a socket 939 opteron or buy new cpu?

dman777

dman777

I have a dual core socket 939 AMD Opteron with a stock cooler. I mainly use my pc for music, movies, and linux. I would like it to where I don't hear my CPU fan. These opterons run pretty hot. Would I be ok with an oversized CPU cooler with a 120mm fan or would I be better off getting a cpu that has less heat(Like the new AMD Phenom II X3 that is only 65watts)?

dman777

dman777

My concern is can I achieve the same level of quietness and cooling with one of those recommeneded heatsinks as I can if I had a AMD Phenom X3 II 65 watt without cooking my pc?

Last edited:
Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
You would need to buy a new motherboard to run a Phenom. There is no such thing as a socket 939 Phenom.

dman777

dman777

yes, I realize that...a new cpu and new motherboard. sorry i didn't carify that. so...would i get the same results(cooling and silence) with new heat sink on the opteron as i would a new cpu(65 watts) and motherboard?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Socket 939 dual cores are valuable due to scarcity. I'd be inclined to find a large quiet hsf using SPCR as a guide, and look for one that can handle both 939 and AM3 and 775 for future usablity.

Associates