Computer wont turn on.

J

Justin McGregor

Hello,
I was using my computer one day, went to shut down and turned the computer off. The next day when I came back I pushed the power button and NOTHING! No fan, no HD no lights, nothing. So checked to make sure the Power Supply was on, the voltage was right, the power strip works, the Power supply works (when I turn the power supply the lights on the keyboard flash once), and that I have the Power switch on the right header. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I'm open to any suggestions.

F

futureman

Spiritwalker/Headstone
On most cases there are two power supply buttons, a soft off button on the front and a power off button on the back. Check that both are in the on position.

Other than that, have you had any power outages lately, or spikes that may have fried your board?

S

sin2

Sudden spikes could've killed your motherboard and PS. Since you're seeing you keyboard flash, I'll assume that there's juice flowing but not enough.

Do the easiest thing first. Bring another PS close to your box and plug it into the motherboard connector. If it fires up then you know what the problem. If it doesn't then it's the poor motherboard.

W

wetling

See my Sig
I think there is something wrong with this site. The links must be messed up. I thought I was going into the feedback forum, but aparently, I am in the support forum. Strang huh?

J

Justin McGregor

I narrowed it down to either my Mother board, RAM or Processor, by testing my Power supply and the Buttons on the case. If anyone has any suggestions I'm still open to them.

S

sin2

If you got spare ones or can borrow one, test each of those things out. Start with the easiest like mem, cpu, then motherboard.

------------------
Visit my site at www.xibase.com

N

nightcrawler

If you have an old PC, the power supply
might be the culprit. Even with the newer
cases, sometime you get a defective power
supply.

------------------
Happy people do not need a reason, just that they are so...

U

UB

I had a simular problem before. I solved it by re-mouting external power cabels, switching on the main On button and then pushing the Power button. Easy as that. Test this if you alredy havent.

J

Justin McGregor

Thanks to everyone who replied. I had my motherboard tested and it was fried. Well I guess I need a new one.

F

fredc

I had a similar problem--it turned out the motherboard was bad. I plugged in a good motherboard and it became a bad one too. I then cut some possibly useful connectors off of the power supply and threw it into the trash. Fortunately it was an old computer and motherboard but still annoying. Hope it doesn't turn out that way for you.

Associates