Computer restarts when burning cd's

A

AMD 2400

Hi guys,

can you help me out?? my computer restarts every time i try to burn a cd. My cd burner always worked fine until now..

The problem is that when the a open 48x cd burner is preparing to burn there nothing wrong when he's getting to burn the first thing my computer spontaniously turns of and restart (looks like it costs too much power).

Can you guys give me an answer to this problem??

Thanks!!

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Welcome to Hardware Central.

It would help to post the computer's specifications. Is the cdrw original or was it added later?

Last edited:
Todd a

Todd a

Does it work as a normal CD drive just fine and only do this when you try to burn? Try reinstalling the burning software. If that does not work, then try unplugging a few non esentials like case fans, leaving the side panel open.

A

AMD 2400

Its a self build system, i recently formatted it. The cd-player function does work.

My system, xp 2400+ 512meg ddr333 120gig 7200 rpm seagate hd etc. mobo is an ecs k7s5a or something like that

Thanks for your reactions,

btw todd i already cut of the power of the most case fans so....

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Okaayyy, an ECS K7S5A.

Here is a forum that contains a lot of information on your board:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=35

One of the things you'll learn there is this board likes to have a good power supply. You're using a 2400+ and a good amount of ram, possibly a power hungry video card for gaming? Could be your psu is marginal for this system.

Todd a asked you to pull the side cover off to eliminate temps as an issue. You could install MotherBoard Manager to monitor your temps.

What board rev. do you have, and what's your bios version? There have been lots of bios upgrades for these boards, some for timing and stability issues.

Last edited:
A

armageddon

using Nero?

I know that Nero has an option to show down PC after burning. GOD ONLY KNOWS why they offer that. So even if you aren't using Nero, it could be a preference in the CD-burning app you're using. If you just can't seem to figure it out, i recommend you uninstall the application and find another.

grover

grover

Ex pert
Could be a software issue, too. Just a few weeks ago, I accidentally made a minor misconfiguragion on my laptop and the mofo would BSOD or spontanously reboot every time windowsloaded.

And, man, it was years ago, but I'd swear I had this *exact* same problem with my 4x CD-R in win2k (where it would reboot upon drive initiation) that I fixed by hacking in adaptec's drivers that weren't included in either win2k or my CD-R drivers because of some liscensing problem. What OS are you running?

A

AMD 2400

Thanks for your reactions guys!!

I think i found it out. I bought a new psu a 550Watt that should be enough.... ;-) and i installed nero instead of easy cd creator... the burner is working again...

Thanks for your replies!!

I didnt know that you could oc with this board.. .so that will be my new project..

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Originally posted by AMD 2400
I didnt know that you could oc with this board.. .so that will be my new project..
You must have found the Cheepoman bios at OCW.

A

AMD 2400

hi,

yes i found the bios.... but how do you flash it??? If anything goes wrong i can throw my mobo away so i want to be sure to run the right procedure..

Martin_89

Martin_89

Re: using Nero?

Originally posted by armageddon
I know that Nero has an option to show down PC after burning. GOD ONLY KNOWS why they offer that
i think its for people who dont like to leave their computer swiched on all day they can burn a cd and go to work and leave it then when they come back their cd will be done and computer swiched off.

grover

grover

Ex pert
Re: Re: using Nero?

Originally posted by Martin_89
i think its for people who dont like to leave their computer swiched on all day they can burn a cd and go to work and leave it then when they come back their cd will be done and computer swiched off.
12x and 40x drives pretty much made that feature obsolete, though ;)

Nukfutz

Nukfutz

Don't Ask!
Originally posted by AMD 2400
Thanks for your reactions guys!!

I think i found it out. I bought a new psu a 550Watt that should be enough.... ;-) and i installed nero instead of easy cd creator... the burner is working again...
Update your Easy Cd Creator to the latest verison. It will stop the reboots.....if you are using WIn XP. Ver.5.02 or later if I remember correctly.

Associates