Computer not reading External Hard Drives (reads thumb drives)

G

ggalv

I have a computer (Dell Latitude E5450) with Windows 10 that is not reading external hard drives. I have tried 3 different external hard hard drives and they don't work on this computer. These external hard drives do work on another computer.

The computer does read thumb drives.

I went to Device Manager, but did not see portable devices.

Appreciate your help in trying to figure this out.

Thanks

Technoplume

Technoplume

Look in to the Admin tool for computer management, It might be in there under the HD section and just need to right click and mount it.
Make sure you use the external power supply.

G

ggalv

I went into the computer management, and it does not show any information for the externa drive. It only shows Disk 0 (C:, Disk o partition and Recovery)

Technoplume

Technoplume

I not sure I can help you more on this, I took a look in google and it seem there's a bunch of troubles with the Dell Laptop and there USB port. And none of the site I look at had an answer.

I notice the USB port are 3.0. Not really relevant but I run in trouble for charging my tablet, and it turn out the cable was at fault. Basic 1990 trouble shooting, always try a different cable 1st. It's possible since the 3.0 have higher rate, the cable your using is affecting the port.

Other then that I would say your OS, Also had a friend with an ASUS have his wifi go on and off, and every thing look fine. But after weeks of searching he gave up, reinstalled windows 10, and magically all was working.

Associates