CMOS Checksum Error AND CPU is Unworkable or Has Been Changed

G

ggalv

I left for a little vacation and when I came back the following happened to my computer (ABIT NF7-S, AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ w/ 333MHZ Front Side Bus):

1. Someone turned off the power strip while the computer was ON. The power strip/computer had no power for about 1 week. I am not sure if they did something else to the computer.
2. "CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults will be loaded" came up at bootup right after I turn on the computer. It asked me to either press F1 to continue OR press Del to enter setup. I entered setup and exit it without saving. The computer loaded up.
3. The time in Windows XP showed as 11:00 p.m. instead of 6:00 p.m. AND the Date shows as Dec 31,2003.
4. I have not changed the time or Date yet, because I don't know if I might need this to fix my current problem.
5. Everytime I turned on the computer I see the following at bootup: "CPU is unworking or has been changed, please recheck - CPU Soft Menu. I have the option of pressing F1 to continue OR Del to enter setup. I press F1 and the computer loads up.

I am trying to figure out what happened and if there is something wrong with my computer. Appreciate if you guys could help me out with the following questions:

1. Why did the "CMOS Checksum error - defaults will be loaded" came up?
2. Why does my computer have a date of Dec 31,2003?
3. Why is "CPU is unworkable or has been changed, please recheck - CPU Soft Menu" come up? What do I need to do to fix this?

THANKS

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
sounds like your cmos battery might be dying. you can reset the time and date, then set the cpu to the correct settings for your 2500+. if they don't hold the next time you power up the system, it's time for a new battery.

A

athi

not keeping time is a classic sign of a dead/dying battery.

sounds like your battery was either dead or dying and when the power strip was turned off, the battery was unable to power the cmos and the cmos data got corrupted. try midknyte's suggestion and see if the cmos keep resetting when you turn off the power strip.

G

ggalv

I am going to try to change the time and date. Do you guys know what are the correct settings for my 2500+?

Do you guys recommend I turn off the computer only OR should should I disconnect the power cable from the power supply to see if it holds the settings (If I do this for how long should I keep the cable disconnected from the power supply)?

THANKS

G

ggalv

I changed the date and time. I really appreciate if you guys can look at below and help me in out if I have to change the CPU and/or RAM settings. I am thinking of changing certain parameters based on previous research - appreciate if you guys could verify these and if I should be changing other things. THANKS

I see the following:
1. At bootup DDR400

1. In BIOS
CPU Name AMD Ahtlon (tm) XP
CPU Internal Frequency 1100 MHz (100x11)
CPU Operating Speed 2500+
x- External Clock 166 MHz
x- Multiplier Factor x11
AGP Frequency 66 MHz
CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio Auto
CPU Interface Disabled

2. In BIOS
CPU Core Volage 1.65V
DDR SDRAM Voltage 2.6V
Chipset Voltage 1.6V
AGP Voltage 1.5V

3. In BIOS
Row - actie delay 7
RAS - to - CAS delay 3
Row - precharge delay 3
CAS Latency Time 2.5

Here are the following changes I plan to make:
1) Change teh CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio from Auto to 5/6 (400 MHz)
2) DDR SDRAM Voltage from 2.6 to 2.7
3) CAS-Latency Time from 2.5 to 3

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
you could change to ddr 400, but i see no reason to change the voltage or cas timings.

G

ggalv

I changed the date and time to the correct date and time. The date and time have been correct everytime I have turnerd on the computer.

I then changed the CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio from Auto to 5/6 (400 MHz), DDR SDRAM Voltage from 2.6 to 2.7 and CAS-Latency Time from 2.5 to 3 in the bios and save the changes. The "CPU is unworking or has been changed, please recheck - CPU Soft Menu" - no longer comes up, I have checked this for about 4 days.

Today, I disconnected the power supply cable from my computer for about 5 minutes. Neither the "CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults will be loaded" OR "CPU is unworking or has been changed, please recheck - CPU Soft Menu" came up AND the time and date were correct after I turned on the computer.

So it seems that the computer is working fine now. Any suggestions of what might have happened? Also from this can I assume that my CMOS battery is still alright?

THANKS

A

athi

try leaving the pc unplug overnight and see if the checksum error comes back. it takes a while for the capacitor to discharge completely.

G

ggalv

I haven't tried the suggestion to unplug the computer overnight just yet because I been a little busy and don't want to fix new problems if they arise.

My computer its working fine. If my battery is dying or dead, is the only thing that happens is that the settings in the bios are not saved if the computer is unppluged?

Are there other things that could happend if the battery is dying is dead?

Also, if the battery is dying or dead should the computer be fine as long as it is plugged all the time?

THANKS

A

athi

the only thing that would happen with a bad battery and you lose power for too long is your pc would have to reload the cmos from the prom chip and will prompt you to this fact. you would also lose any bios customization that you made. the not keeping the correct time is a minor issue unless you have task scheduled.

you will be fine as long as you don't lose power.

Associates