Clone or Image

W

weazer9905

I think my C drive may be ready to fail. It is a 500 gb. I purchased a 1 tb drive to replace it. I have created a system image of the current C drive. Can I restore the system image on the new 1 tb drive and then expand the drive or do I have to use a cloning program before the drive fails.

Thanks.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Can I restore the system image on the new 1 tb drive and then expand the drive or do I have to use a cloning program before the drive fails.
You didn't say what imaging app you used. Some apps have the option to expand. Otherwise, you can expand the partition after you do the restore.

I think my C drive may be ready to fail.
Why do you say that? Did you run diagnostics?

W

weazer9905

You didn't say what imaging app you used. Some apps have the option to expand. Otherwise, you can expand the partition after you do the restore.

Why do you say that? Did you run diagnostics?
The drive is over 3 years old and is now making clicking noises it has not made before. No problem with data access. I'm just preparing in case it does fail.

I plan on using the image made through Win 7.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Best method for diagnosing a hard drive: Download the Ultimate Boot CD and burn to a disc or a usb stick (bootable.) Boot the computer to this and you'll have all the manufacturer hdd test utilities.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Best method for diagnosing a hard drive: Download the Ultimate Boot CD and burn to a disc or a usb stick (bootable.) Boot the computer to this and you'll have all the manufacturer hdd test utilities.
+1

W

weazer9905

I finally got my geezer rear end up and snooping around and the dreaded clicking noises are coming from my external WD 250 gig drive. I never pay any attention to it as I only use it to store downloaded programs and photos. I have the Cooler Master Cosmos case for my computer, as I wanted something big that would make it easy for me to do the install when I built the computer.

The external drive is to the side and back of the case...out of sight out of mind.

I got a 1 tb external from Newegg to replace it when it finally fails.

Sorry for the trouble.

W

weazer9905

I didn't want to aggravate anyone as I came here for help when I was building the computer. (The external drive was left over from my last computer).

After 3 1/2 years, still with no problems with the equipment they suggested, it shows I was given very good information