check my insulation PLEASE!!!

H

Hardware911

is this right? or do i insulate around the whole slocket2? im idle at about 14c

[This message has been edited by Hardware911 (edited 04-02-2000).]

T

TNproud2b

You might be alright at your present temperature. As you approach the freezing mark, I guarantee the cold CPU will 'transfer the cold' (remove the heat from) thru the socket base and condensation will form on the backside of the Slocket and inside the socket itself. If you don't see any moisture on the back of the card, you're OK. Most people insulate the entire Slocket card, front and back.

S

SadSadPanda

depends on how cold the peltier is making the chip, and how many fans in youir case there are.

H

Hardware911

ok maybe ill insulate the whole thing just to be safe...where do i get closed cell foam?
hardware store?well i idle at 14c and surf the web at 18c and the highest peak i get is 32c with 3dmark...this is cool eough for me..i didnt put a pelt on for any reason i was fine before just did it for the fun of it.. the back side of the slocket isnt even cool..i was just worried about the cpu pins because the outer parts of the cpu must be cooler than the core right?

[This message has been edited by Hardware911 (edited 04-02-2000).]

B

Big Lar

Kinda tight fit in there
Use the base of meat packing, ie; ( the white yellow or red "foam" that chickens/ steaks , come ontop of....) That'll do ya

------------------
Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

H

Hardware911

how the hell would i get chicken foam around the whole slocket? i checked out the one Duckman has on his site what foam is that?

H

Hardware911

BAD BAD BAD i pulled it apart an there was moisture btween the cold plate and the pelt...took it all off for now till i can insulate it better..gonna try to fix it up tommorow it looks like its gonna be a bitch to insulate the whole slocket so its air tight any ideas?

B

Big Lar

Besides insulating it better/ try putting thermal grease on the ENTIRE cold plate, including the sides... for some reason when this is done, there is much less of a chance of condensation.

------------------
Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

H

Hardware911

ok will do....the back of the cpu was dry only in the sandwich so maybe ill just try meat packing where my blue foam is...

J

jopey

is this the stuff u are looking for?

------------------
Marriage...The hangover that lasts a life time!

H

Hardware911

looks like the same stuff i used ...except mine is blue...air does not pass through the stuff i got but it also didnt work

K

KeBoMaN

Get some Armaflex pipe insulation... I got a FDP32 cooling an ICE-71 and there is no condensation..

Kebo

J

Jeffy79

Hardware whats your whooole case look like. It looks crammed in there? Also i notice your taking up a slot or two with that heatsink thingy. Hmmmmmm pelteir?

Jeff

------------------
"Thats my story and im stickin to it!"

www.weatherdiagnostics.com <-click there

M

Machupo

you can build a vinal box and fill it w/ silicone conformal coating... but i guess you'd kindof need to be watercooling... that alpha is a little tooo big to fit in there

------------------
Sub-zero project status: working on v0.03 - Slot A enclosure design

D

Duckman

Just plain mean
Kebabman...errr...KeBoMaN: Armaflex is the stuff I use in the PanaFlow sandwich. That stuff is GREAT, so if you can get your hands on some of it, do it!! Easy to cut, form, and the best of all, GREAT insulator. Pretty cheap too.

Duckman

------------------
Visit my homepage:
Duckman's Wild Page
Site Content: Overclocking, cooling and a lot of BS about Me, Myself and I.
Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was staring at your breasts.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
What in the world are those things? You've insulated your peltiers? Is that it?