changed machine with XP to Win 7, got into trouble

S

slhayes

I just installed Win 7 on a machine that had XP after upgrading my Quicken and found out it didn't work on the XP machine because there is no support for XP. I got the Win 7 in okay, but I must have clicked something and got hit with all kinds of software I did not want, it totally blocked my view of all other programs, and I saw an 800 number to call, made the call and virtually got in an argument with the guy as he tried to push me into professional help. It installed about 6 programs, and I managed to get about 5 off, but there is one that is called something like nowuseeit player, there is not an option that works in the add/remove in control panel, and if I try to uninstall it that way it asks if I want to allow it to make changes to my machine, I okayed it once only to find out it was still on the machine doing the same thing I can only reboot the machine to put it to sleep temporarily. I use WebRoot virus protection and I think he put a remote icon on my machine to prove my machine was infected, and I can't get the real WebRoot to install on my machine. I am at a loss on what to do, can someone help me along? I hung up on him when he suggested I take the machine to Best Buy and at first he said they would charge me $70 to $90 then he said they would charge me $350, so I hung up on him. I need help. If I try to run WebRoot for an install the stupid program pops up and blocks me again.

The machine it is on is an eeePC netbook. I don't know how to get to safe mode on it, and am not sure what I am supposed to do even if I got in there.

glussier

glussier

There is nothing in the win7 installer that can create this problem unless you did install an illegal copy of win7. What have you done after installing win7?

S

slhayes

There is nothing in the win7 installer that can create this problem unless you did install an illegal copy of win7. What have you done after installing win7?
I barely had done anything. I was trying to get WebRoot installed, which at this point I don't even have virus protection on it, it may be a problem with the program and am trying to contact them. I tried to find the download and I may have picked up the problem in my search??? At this point I was able to uninstall all except the one program which I think was "udontseeit" player or something like that, it would not come off by way of add/remove, but I was finally able to start the machine in safe mode and install MalwareBytes, and got it off that way. Right now I am trying to install MailWasher but it is installing net framework??? and taking a very long time, but it seems like that may come with that installation.

glussier

glussier

What you got is while you were installing something there was some software hijacking your computer which was installed at the same time. This is why you had a phone number to call. That phone number was linking you to crooks who were trying to get some money from you.

Professur

Professur

Naked bungee jumper
What are the odds you did a full backup before you started with the upgrades?

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Since this is a fresh install, you don't have files to rescue, just reinstall Win 7. As glussier said, a legit install should not contain malware, although oem installs can contain large amounts of bloatware.

An eeePC netbook has limited resources for Windows. If you don't have need of specific Windows programs you might consider a lightweight Linux OS, which the original netbooks were intended to use.

Associates