CD-ROM sharing?

T

TCarff

Is there a way to have a global cdrom over the network. I've shared a cd-rom over the network and installed a game onto a computer. But when I go to play the game, the computer asks me for the cd. Is there a way to let the computer know the cdrom is on another computer? I could burn another copy of it, but why if I don't have too.

M

mfurdyk

Try mapping the network CD-ROM as a local drive -- right click, 'Map Network Drive'. Make sure 'Reconnect At Logon' is checked.

T

TCarff

Yeh, I've tried that. The only thing is when you map a cd drive, the computer doesn't see it as a cd-rom, just a drive. So the game only see's the local cd-rom and not the networked one.

P

Perce

Have you tried mapping the Network CDROM, then installing the game from there? That way the "path" should still be correct when the game is initializing and is looking for the CD.

T

TCarff

Yep, I've tried that. Installed a game and then tried running it. The game still asked for the cd-rom. Still think it's because win9x is seeing it as a networked drive and not a cd-rom.

E

Eccentric

I understand what your saying, like basically having the OS think the network CD-ROM is yours? You can't do that in Windows, however, most games have a patch, or crack in which you can play it without the CD. Basically what those patches do is put what's on the CD in a folder, and refer to the folder as if it were the CD-ROM. So I guess that leaves you with two choices. Look for a specific patch for whatever game you're trying to play, or look for a general patch that will do the same with all games. I currently play Red Alert and Age of Empires off my harddrive, so you should be able to find a similar patch for most games.

------------------
C:\WINDOWS\RUN C:\WINDOWS\CRASH C:\ME\FDISK /usr/src/linux

[This message has been edited by Eccentric (edited 02-26-99).]

Associates