CAT5 quality, where to get decent cable, what to look for?

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Our local hardware store sells THE WORST cable ever! It is 25¢ a foot, but if you don't treat it like it was made of blown glass it becomes useless. I am going to try and talk so someone who orders there but in the mean time I need to find some decent cable and am clueless where to start. All I know is I used to work for a shop and the cable he once made me (50") has taken literal abuse and still works! I need some cable that can be re-routed over and over without breaking. I can't even believe anyone makes such crappy cable as they sell locally and I'm sure only people who are super gentle with it and never move it would ever buy it. They can't possibly get much repeat sales.

It is embarrassing to admit how many ends I have wasted trying to get this nasty blue crap to work before I realized I was making the ends just fine and the cable was worthless!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Thanks, that was helpful in that I didn't even know there was a such thing as "stranded" CAT5. I might buy some of that if I can find it in a quantity small enough I can afford it.

Still I'd like to know more about solid core cable and quality variations or what specifically to look for. Every cable I have used is solid core and most of them are very durable. the only time I have ever come across a poor product is this stuff available locally. I imagine it is much cheaper in bulk as well.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Oh and I should add that I am not gonna be able to spend a lot of money. I can't probably afford a huge roll of anything, just looking for a few hundred feet perhaps.

I just hate wireless for LAN. I don't mind wires for the lack of headache.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Well what I see so far is that it seems that stranded wire is not capable of long runs and keeping it's signal integrity as well as solid core. Generally the only time I need to actually make a cable is when I need a long run.

If anyone has any particular brands or specifications I can look for in solid core cabling, that would be most helpful.

Associates