can't get printer to work on networked machines

S

slhayes

I recently had problems with one of my machines after several power outages that my brother was able to get going for me, but now my printer will only work from one machine and I can't get the other two to see or print on the printer. The printer I have is a Canon all in one MP 280. It looks like the sharing is okay on the machine it is connected to, but when I go to printers and faxes it doesn't show up, so I try to add a printer and I get the attached image. It tells me I need a driver then I get another image as attached. I am lost, and this is just one of the two I cannot get to see the printer. I forgot to mention that it was at this time that I added a password to sign on to my machines. Prior to this all happening the printer was accessible from 3 machines, although one I am not using now and am using a notebook in place of that one I took off. But all the machines have the same sign on password.
printer.jpg driver.jpg

Last edited:
S

slhayes

I got it. Both the machines I was trying to print from do not have CD/DVD drives on them, but after thinking I thought if I tried to install the software that came with the printer it may work even though my search was telling me to roll it back to a restore point or delete files in the temp folder in system32. I did the install like it was going to connect directly to each machine, but once I got past the installation point I backed out and the files needed were in place. I don't remember having to install it on each machine before, but before one machine did have the needed drive, and the other I did buy an external DVD/CD drive so I had the needed drive to do it. Thanks for all the interest since I see over 100 viewed it at this point, that just tells me Hardware Central is a needed source of information, so that is why I am explaining how mine was resolved.

Associates