Can't change display resolution

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
With a Latitude D630 and a docking station I have an extra monitor. The Latitude has it's own resolution which I can change but the extra monitor stays at 640X800 or whatever Safe Mode gives you. I can pull the slider to higher resolutions but when I apply it then it snaps back to 640x480.

I had another monitor on it last week and this monitor did whatever I wanted it to do.

The video card is the nVidia quadro NVS 135M on the laptop.
Why won't the resolution stay even up to 1024x768?

Last edited:
U

ua549

Has the monitor been properly identified by the Control Panel Display applet?

I have a similar setup with a D620. I'm running the extra display at 1680 x 1050 on the external monitor and 1440 x 900 on the notebook.

U

ua549

Try connecting the monitor directly to the D630 without using the docking station.
That will eliminate it as a source of a problem.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Ok, but I need the dock because that is how I work. Anyhow-----------

I plugged in another D630 with the nvidia Quadro display adapter to see if it was the computer. I did this: I made my external monitor the primary and I have extended my windows on this monitor. I also have the extended thing checked on monitor 1(laptop) as well. Now I can change my 2 external monitor's resolution. So I can use it that way and will ignore the laptop that I can extend onto. I may lose my cursor once in awhile over there but I will get used to that.

Now I will try my orginal D630 and try to do the same.

U

ua549

As it is there are too many variables in the mix. Narrow the problem by eliminating the variables one at a time. The only way to eliminate the dock as a problem is to test without it. After that hook it back the other way.

Associates