Cannot open folders via network

L

lmfbr

I have three computers connected to a router. All connect properly with my cable modem. All can exchange files with each other. But... My #1 computer is no longer able to open folders on my #2 computer. I can display the list of folders, but when I click on one, the computer waits for a long time, then says it can't open the folder. I have tried turning off the firewalls (Comodo) on both computers. It doesn't help. I have run the setup Wizard on both machines several times, but that doesn't help either. If I go to computer #2, it will open any folder on computer #1. The reverse doesn't work.

Computer #1 XP Home
Computer #2 XP Pro
Computer #3 Ubuntu (it also only works outbound - files exchange, but I neither Windows computer can find the Ubuntu one)

I can live with the Linux problem, but I would really like to fix the Windows network problem. I have gone to each partition and set the option to share. I can't think of anything else to try. What might enable computer #1 to open folders on #2?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Did you enable Simple File Sharing on the XP Pro box? SFS is enabled by default on XP Home.

L

lmfbr

Thanks for the reply. I searched for "simple file sharing" on my XP Pro machine and found nothing in the help files or in the control panel. Google turned up references to it, but so far I haven't found anything telling me how to check or change it. The tutorial for XP Pro shows screens that are different from the ones that appear for me. I did find that the network wizard had turned on the Windows firewall. I turned it off and tried to reach #2 again, but got the same result. I can see the drives as folders, but they do not open.

L

lmfbr

Many thanks. The link is detailed, so I should find everything I need there. I will try turning it off as soon as I can read the article.

L

lmfbr

The simple file sharing link was easy to follow. I discovered that simple file sharing was ON. I made another attempt to open the disk folders on the XP Pro machine from the XP Home machine. The results were the same. I see the partitions as folders, but when I try to open them, the computer goes into a long dead period, then says it could not open the folder.

This used to work, but something has changed to make it not work now. I have double checked that sharing is ON for each partition. Any other ideas?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
SFS was on for the XP Pro system?

Do both systems have the same workgroup name?

Did you uninstall the firewall or just disable it? I've had problems even after disabling the firewall software. You may need to fully uninstall it and then reinstall once you figure out the sharing problem.

You are sharing the full partitions, not just folders? Partitions already an administrative share.

L

lmfbr

SFS was ON for the XP Pro system when I followed the MS instructions.

Both workgroups are named MSHOME.

I didn't uninstall the firewall. I just set it to the "allow all" setting. I will try uninstalling.

I have selected the share option at the partition level. I just right clicked on each partition, then "share this..." then I checked the two sharing options. I did this on both computers.

My Ubuntu computer can find the Windows network and displays the name as MSHOME. It can also see both Win computers, and the folders in the XP Pro computer. It can open the folders and files on the Home computer, but not on the Pro. I had Comodo OFF. It was not uninstalled, but I shut down the software.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Try creating a folder share and see if that works instead. You can also try connecting to the partition via the admin share: \\workstation\C$

L

lmfbr

I just tried making a folder share. The folder appears along with the drive partitions, but will not open. I get the same long hang, then an error message. I am sort of guessing that I have installed some anti-malware application that is blocking the network. I will try to stop the virus and malware apps and test again.

L

lmfbr

Problem fixed. I still don't know the cause, but out of frustration, I restored the computer to images that I created in April. After moving backwards in time, I booted the system and tried to access the Pro machine from the Home machine. It worked immediately. I have no idea what I changed after April, but whatever it was caused the mess that I have been trying to resolve. Thanks to Acronis and the images I created with it, I am back in business.

Thank you for your attempts to help me. At the very least, I learned about SFS and how to turn it on and off.

Associates