Cannot Delete RAID 1 Array On Highpoint Controller

Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
I had two 500GB WD RE3 HDDs running on a Highpoint RocketRAID 3120 RAID controller. I read in the PDF manual that a larger capacity HDD can be added and the OCE feature to rebuild will copy the data to the new drive. I have done this by installing one WD 2TB HDD on port #2 of the RAID controller. I ran the OCE feature through the Highpoint RAID Management utility (in Windows) and the stopped the rebuild process at 4%. I stopped the rebuild because Windows Disk Management reported 500GB as the new 2TB drive I installed. Now, I cannot delete the RAID 1 500GB array with the two 500GB installed, as well as with the new 2TB drives I have installed. One 2TB drive shows a DISABLED array.
When I try to delete the array from Windows (Highpoint RAID Management Utility) or through the BIOS (CTRL+H), the system stops responding. I have tried deleting the RAID array with the original 500GB drives, with the same result. I have also tried flashing the RAID controller firmware again, hoping that it would reset the card, but no luck.

How do I delete the RAID 1 array so I can start fresh with the new 2TB HDDs?

FYI: I have already done a full backup of my data onto an external HDD.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Mirrored drive partitions need to be identical, so it would only use 500GB of the 2TB. You can use a larger drive, but you are limited by the size of the smaller drive. That's more for a situation where a drive fails and you can't find a drive of the same size. It's not meant to be used to upgrade the array.

If you have a backup, I'd disconnect all the RAID drives first, delete the arrays, create a new array with the 2 2TB drives, and then restore the data.

Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
Thank you for the assistance, Midknyte. I ended up connecting one drive at a time, then deleting whatever configuration was available to delete. I also used the WD Diagnostics to do a low-level quick format on the new 2TB drive which was running OCE, which I stopped before my troubles began (reporting 500GB).

I have created a new RAID 1 array, with write through (performance is not a priority for me). I have also chosen 4K as the sector size. Will I have any issues with the 4K sector size on the 2TB HDDs? The OS is W7 64-bit, SP1.

I have a lot more to learn about RAID.

Thanks.

Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
Thanks again for all your help. I am back up and running with 2TB HDDs in RAID1 now.

Associates