Cannot copy files on XP install?????

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Doing a clean install of a laptop with 500mhz AMDk6 Compaq Presario, I am getting messings saying that it can't copy certain files on this install.
The first file needed was shell32.dll. There are others.
I had to hit esc to continue installing.

What causes XP not to find and copy files like this on a clean install?

I am now up to the screen that is passed the WinXP splash screen and it is loading stuff. Now it says Copy error: Setup cannot copy the file sam.sp_ Retry or cancel.

Why is this giving me grief? I did a complete format and not the quick one and am making it fat32 on a 5 gig hard drive.

insanityfell

insanityfell

BNL ROCKS!!!
I got the shell32.dll error once when reformatting also. I just reformatted once more and never got that message again. Never really new what it was all about, by the time I got it installed had forgotten all about it. Could be maybe a scratched disc, couldn't find any info on google.

Shinma

Shinma

Originally posted by jonny b
... saying that it can't copy certain files on this install.
The first file needed was shell32.dll. There are others.
I had to hit esc to continue installing...

That installation is likely toast.

Memory, CD, optical drive in use and/or connection between optical drive and mobo may be defective...

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Best thing to do is not to just format the drive.

During the install delete the whole partition then make a new one.

Install the OS on the new partition.

Mikie

Mikie

The copy is bad.

I had that several times, different files. Just try retry, or skip if you are desperate, just be prepared for some weirdness later, if it completes the boot.

I never solved my problem, I just ended up not using my disk (a slipstream) and using orginal media and SP2'ing after.

J

jonny b

Computer Doctor
Got 2000 to load just fine on the HD. It was a little slow but no arguments from the install.

With XP, actually got to the gui and it still wanted files so that install was toast. Tried it 3 times with formatting. Once with NTFS and then with fat32. It is now a 5 gig hd with fat32.

Is it better to have ntfs on such a small drive then fat32?

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
You have a bad disc then.

It is really personal preference between NTFS and Fat 32. I like to use NTFS whenever I can though.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Sounds like your problem was either the disk or the cdrom reading it, or the combination. But I had a similar situation and after trying a new cdrw, many differeint combinations of memory, I finally solved the problem by repalcing the cpu, coincidentally a K62 450 which had been heat stressed by a botched hsf installation.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Just tried the XP disk on another computer and it installs fine.

Ok,

Looks like it maybe an issue with the CDROM not reading the CD correctly. :(

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
It read 2000, my wireless software, Office XP so what about that?
Might be that disc you are trying to use also. I have seen that happen before. Maybe the drive is just having issues with that one cd.

Try another CD with Xp on it and see what happens.

M

Martin_89

had that problem with an old PII 400MHz machine i was working on for a mate, his 98SE install was screwed so we tried to install XP but read errors all the time, got a Samsung CD-RW combo drive for him and the install went fine after that

D

dangerxzone

Can't read file XXXX

I have the same problem. go to: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread8356.html. I've tried four different CD drives. They all did the same thing.

it seems that this is most likely a problem with the memory stick. I'm going to buy a new stick tonight and retry. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Dangerxzone

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
it seems that this is most likely a problem with the memory stick. I'm going to buy a new stick tonight and retry.
Run Memtest86+. It could be memory, but if you read post #8 above, I had an occasion when it was a dodgy cpu. Memtest might pick that up. When you get those install error messages and it isn't the install media or the cdrom, it's some other hardware issue.

Associates