Can Arctic Silver be CONDUCTIVE ???

DoctorFoxx

DoctorFoxx

I got some of the of the nice stuff on the wires that connect the cache, on a classic Athlon, to its pc board. Its crammed in there and a Q-tip doesnt get it all out. Can this cause damage from a short circut or bridging ???

Also: This one is a Classic 600 0.25 Micron. I'm using the "Tweaking Device". Having bad luck so far...will I ever get anywhere with the 1/2 speed level 2 ???

------------------
"I cant drive...55 !!!"

[This message has been edited by DoctorFoxx (edited 09-10-2000).]

M

Machupo

well, it says that it's dielectric, so i'm pretty sure you're safe

soak the end of the q-tip in isopropyl alcohol and then rub the junk outa there... that should get it all...

hell, i've even eaten the stuff, and i'm still around

M

Mandoralin

How is it in salads or on a baked potato?

But if someone has some of that stuff and an ohmmeter then put the probes into a small dab of it and check for a reading.

[This message has been edited by Mandoralin (edited 09-10-2000).]

grover

grover

Ex pert
It contains silver, but in oxidized form. Luckily for you, silver-oxide is non-conductive
According to the manufacturer, Artic Silver isn't conductive and can be used in close proximity to electronics without fear of squishing a little bit out onto them.

N

Nevin

Actually Arctic Silver is pure micronized silver, not silver oxide. The non-conductivity is due to the suspension characteristics and coating properties of the special carrier.

Still, with all the dust and contaminants that swirl around inside a computer, it is best to keep any sticky substance off of cache chip and processor leads.

Usually a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol will be successful in getting the compound out of tight places where it does not belong.

Nevin

S

S_Klass

Nevin seems to appear whenever Artic Silver is mentioned, I wonder how he does it.

p.s. Any more of those HP orbs coming?

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

DoctorFoxx

DoctorFoxx

Thanx, I will try the toothbrush...seems logical. I was actually using a Q-Tip to wipe it off on the edge of the cache when I accidently "Smeared" it in to the "Centipede Legs".

Its been an experience. The stock unit wouldn't cool it and the new GORB wouldn't fit. I drilled new holes and mounted it up somewhat so it cleared the power connector and stuck 2 extra fans on it. Its cool now, but the errors are constant at stock speed.

I wonder if that Artic Silver works on a headache ?

------------------
"I cant drive...55 !!!"

[This message has been edited by DoctorFoxx (edited 09-11-2000).]

DoctorFoxx

DoctorFoxx

As a follow-up:

I used a toothbrush and alcohol. I actually cleaned the whole damn thing, with the TechTV commercial playing in the background. Low and Behold Arnie..." No Problemo " !!!

Careful with that stuff eh ?

------------------
"I cant drive...55 !!!"