Came along way..... But why are OS's getting slower? Or is it just me?

O

ol' man

workin fingas to the bone
When I pick up one of my old WinXP machines they are so much more responsive. What gives?

ol' man

glussier

glussier

Hi, how are you doing? Long time no see.

All my windows 10 computers are pretty responsives. I have nothing with windows 10 right now, so I can't really compare? Even my 15watts Intel based ultrabook are responsives? What type of hardware are you running on?

O

ol' man

Yeah sorry for the long response time. I have been doing well. ol' man is now actually turning into an old man.

It was a 2GHz core2duo laptop. It only had 4GB of ram. Only!!

Anyway I have an old PII win98 machine for legacy issues. Seems the spectre/meltdown bug affects that thing too? Anyway it is snappy when you click on file explorer or anything like that. My win10 machine lags for a bit. Even win7 seems snappier.

Maybe spectre/meltdown fixes have slowed it down? Spectre/meltdown really is a bummer.

I am still running my 12yr old [email protected] Q6600 8GB ram. Seems to wokr about as good as any for things. Had to clock it back to normal 2.4GHz for a few years. That 12 yr old thermal paste needed a refreshing which I recently did. Now it seems to OC better. Ran it at 3GHz for most of its life. Weird 15 years ago I had to upgrade every 2 years just to keep up. Now I am still running the same machine after 12 yrs.

glussier

glussier

How are you doing ol'man? Long time no see. The problem is not windows 10 and spectre/meltdown. The problem is the core 2 duo and core 2 quad. They are lacking memory bandwidth. I experience none of these problems with recent processors, but my core 2 quad is slow as hell under windows 10.

And, as for turning into an old man, I am already an old man. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

O

ol' man

Lacking memory bandwidth? So I need to upgrade?

Happy Thanksgiving to you also!

glussier

glussier

Well, if you want speed you need to upgrade. Even a 15watts current gen cpu is light years ahead of your core 2 quad q6600 in terms of performance. The problem with these old cpus is that they were transferring information at very low speed. The only reason I keep the core 2 quad is for the grand kids when they come and visit. A current gen I5 15watts cpu has ~34GB/sec of memory bandwidth, compare this to roughly 5 to 7GB/sec for your Q6600. Plus, if you get a new computer, windows 10 works better with at least a sata ssd. A spinning drive will be really slow with windows 10. Note that the memory bandwidth of a current gen cpu is as fast as the L1 cache on your Q6600.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

Nice to see some old faces. I agree with glussier here, Core 2-era computers are starting to fall behind. I, too, find modern OSes snappier than older ones, given that hardware is sufficiently powerful.

I've observed that Windows 10 almost "expects" a solid state disk nowadays, and tends to be dog slow on traditional mechanical HDDs. If your computers are running mechanical HDDs you might see if you can snag a sale on a solid state disk - it'll likely breathe some snappiness into them.

Regardless, a budget current-generation system is going to make a world of difference. Just try to make sure it has an SSD in it!

Technoplume

Technoplume

Yes and that is where the probloem comes from. When computer where invented, the Hardware dictated the software, now Microsoft see what ppl "might want" and they force the hardware industry to go on that trend. SSD are becoming popular, so there forcing SSD.

Associates