Buying new mouse+keyboard

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

My mouse died on me, really nice mouse. And I dont want to live off my temporary replacement. So I went to buy a new mouse and decided while I was at it to get a keyboard that isnt a 5 dollar keyboard.. I saw this wireless desktop that looked nice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823126171
What does everyone think? Looks really nice to me, and the fact that it's on sale to 35 dollars is nice.
If you make any other suggestions make sure its keyboard and mouse, and that it stays under 35 dollars.

Shinma

Shinma

Have had little issues with the Logitech brand in the past when dealing with keyboards and mouse.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I have a very simlar set and if you're a gamer, the mouse isn't any good. I've noticed that wireless mice aren't all that good. Keyboards are fine but if you want your mouse to be very responsive, get a wired mouse.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
note the keyboard has an F-lock key too. This means that you have to press it after every reboot in order for the function keys to actually work as function keys.

My MS Multimedia keyboard has this too, I've got used to it now but it was quite annoying at first.

krupted

krupted

yep, f-lock ****s, everyone knows it, everyone complains about it, and neither company does anything. its so simple to fix, just reverse the defaults so you have to press the flock key to use the extra functions. having to re-set the F keys every time you boot just to use the normal functions is absurd.

Person, in my experience the logitech wireless mice are better then M$, but the keyboards are not. Microsoft has much better built boards, theyre much sturdier and the keys feel a little better. some of logitechs keyboards are flimsy as can be, very possibly as is the one you linked. the board that came with the mx700 duo combo was horrid. i could snap it in two if i wanted to.

so i guess im saying buy a logitech mouse and a microsoft keyboard and just live with the extra receiver that will be needed. could be a more costly solution though.

how about this, since you seem to be living ok with your keyboard now, invest in a really decent mouse for $40? you wont be dissapointed, a good mouse can make all the difference...

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

As stated above, I might as well just go ahead and get wired stuff. My brother wasnt real pleased with his wireless mouse because you had to move it so much for it to respond. And he couldnt aim well in games. Why I am also wanting a new keyboard is because this is a really old cheapo one. Such as about 4 years old. It has some keys getting stuck and stuff like that, its about done. I saw that wireless desktop at that lowered price and it looked pretty nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104178
Would this mouse be worth it?
Found a microsoft keyboard laying around that I am gonna try out.

krupted

krupted

looks like a good mouse. you cant be let down by wired mice like that unless the wire still bothers you:p

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

Wires truly have never bothered me. So Im getting wired. Unfortunately, I dont have the cash for a laser mouse, only optical.

MuFu

MuFu

dannyboy27 said:
note the keyboard has an F-lock key too. This means that you have to press it after every reboot in order for the function keys to actually work as function keys.
Just plug it into the USB port. Works fine.

krupted

krupted

what do you mean mufu? even if mine is plugged usb i still must hit the lock key to use the f's after every boot

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
If you're looking for a nice quiet keyboard check out Microsoft's Digital Media Pro. I sell these at work with every new computer. They're the quietest keyboards I've ever used. And they're definitely the best wired keyboards Microsoft has ever made.

MuFu

MuFu

krupted said:
what do you mean mufu? even if mine is plugged usb i still must hit the lock key to use the f's after every boot
Oh, that is odd. That fix has worked on every Logitech keyboard I've come across.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

wrathchild_67 said:
If you're looking for a nice quiet keyboard check out Microsoft's Digital Media Pro. I sell these at work with every new computer. They're the quietest keyboards I've ever used. And they're definitely the best wired keyboards Microsoft has ever made.
Looks nice, Ill look into it, first I gotta replace this few year old microsoft mouse that is making it hard to play games. :p

krupted

krupted

well maybe it does i havent been using logitech keyboards lately. i got a ms elite.

person, im looking to pick up the logitech g7 mouse. i think they have a wired version of it too. im sick of this explorer 2.0, on the second one and this left click button is failing as well:rolleyes:

TurtleMan

TurtleMan

Chelonian Member
The Logitech USB fix doesn't work on my machine, either. I hate the "f" lock business and will never buy another keyboard from them.

t-man

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

krupted said:
Microsoft has much better built boards, theyre much sturdier and the keys feel a little better. some of logitechs keyboards are flimsy as can be, very possibly as is the one you linked. the board that came with the mx700 duo combo was horrid. i could snap it in two if i wanted to.
Ditto, I haven't tried any MS keyboard but I have a Logitech Elite keyboard, and while it's not horrible, the keys feels more flimsy than the old $5 generic that came with my old computer. For a $50 CDN keyboard it's a bit hard to stomach.

The whole F-Lock thing annoyed me at first but I got used to it. And no way in hell I'd want to plug that thing in USB anyways :p

sjracer

sjracer

My wife got me the Microsoft Elite Desktop for Bluetooth for Christmas. I love it. I did have a problem with the mouse though while gaming. I got a USB extention cord and ran it to just under my monitor. Works great now. The keyboard rocks. Although, it does have the stupid F lock key. I agree, I dont like that at all. I love the wirelss thing though. This is the first time I have used Bluetooth as well. So far so good.

SJRACER

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
I'm pretty happy with my Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse, wireless of course. I'd probably replace it with the g7 whichs looks to have some excellent response times for gaming. I've heard people complain about some of the Logitech Laser ones, but I've had nothing but excellent results with, though the faster response takes sometime to get use to, I was shooting all over the screen when I first started using, lol! Had to adjust the settings, but now its perfect.

And of course my buddies claim that the mouse is the only reason I kick their asses in most fps games and has nothing to do with my skills. :D ;)

krupted

krupted

sjracer- be aware i can assure you the mouse buttons will wear out probably within a year. ive had two do the same thing now, the buttons go mushy. its really annoying at this point to me, but at least i still think the keyboard is pretty good.

i want to try the g7, i almost ebay'd one today when i tried left clicking and it wouldnt pop back up. i hate stuck buttons.

Associates