But will it chop my vegetables?

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?

The PC cooling market has gone largely unchanged for years. Enthusiasts can typically choose between a high-end heatsink with an array of heatpipes, fins and a mixture of copper and aluminum or a self-contained liquid cooling kit that transfers heat to a radiator for expulsion. Both, however, usually rely on fans to draw the heat away from the source.
In July 2011, Sandia National Laboratories unveiled a new device called the Air Bearing Heat Exchanger that promised to dramatically change the air-cooling landscape. It seemed promising enough but we haven’t heard anything more on the matter… until now.
http://www.techspot.com/news/59346-...p-technologies-advance-heatsink-rotating.html

glussier

glussier

I think that you would have more chances in chopping your vegetables with a standard fan.

The question I have, is how much power is required to get this thing rotating compared to standard fan blades.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

... how much power is required to get this thing rotating compared to standard fan blades.
TechSpot: Cooler Master teams with CoolChip Technologies to advance heatsink with rotating fins

It’s being called the Kinetic Cooling Engine and just like the original, this cooler consists of a finned heatsink that rotates atop a thin cushion of air above a stationary base. Because the radial fins of the heatsink spin on their own, there’s no need for a separate cooling fan.

[ed. From 0:20 in the video]

Target Specs:

Speed: 3,000 RPM @ 3 Watts
Thermal Resistance: < 0.30 C/W
Air Flow: 18 cfm
Noise: < 35 dBa

Material:
Copper Baseplate
Aluminum impeller

Motor:
Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB)

Total Height: 25.1 MM​

This method is said to eliminate much of the dead air associated with typical tower heatsinks – spots that remain hot because they don’t get sufficient airflow. Cooler Master claims it offers 50 percent better cooling than a standard heatsink and is half the size. What’s more, it’s also virtually silent compared to a blower-style fan.

Its small size means it could be an excellent alternative for small form factor builds. The device appears to still be in the prototype phase so it’ll likely be a bit longer before we see retail solutions crop up.

glussier

glussier

Thanks SpywareDr, I read the text at the link, but I missed the 3watts. Anyway, I think the this amount of energy is too much for a mobile device, the fans in the devices, including ultrabooks, take aournd 1watt of power. They will have to do some more research in order to use them in laptops.

Shinma

Shinma

I wondered what happened to that tech. Should be interesting if they can make it practical.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Thanks SpywareDr, I read the text at the link, but I missed the 3watts. Anyway, I think the this amount of energy is too much for a mobile device, the fans in the devices, including ultrabooks, take aournd 1watt of power. They will have to do some more research in order to use them in laptops.
Yep, as well as shaving that 25.1 mm (almost 1 inch) in height down considerably.

glussier

glussier

If it gets released, I might purchase 1, just to compare-it to some sealed liquid cooling setups I have here.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I was quite sceptical, until I watched that video. The emphasis they've put on both quiet and cost, and partnering with CoolerMaster for production, changed my opinion. You would still need a case fan to evacuate heated air out of the case.

Associates