Burning cd's/speed

R

Richard R.

When you guys/gals burn cd's, do you use the highest speed it can use? Does it degrade the cd/sound quality when using a faster speed or not?

Seems I always use/select a slower speed to be sure. Am I missing something?

ohyeahar

ohyeahar

Baller
when i burn music cds i just burn at the maximum which is 52x for me...but i think i've heard that doing so will shorten the life of the cd and that for music, you should burn at about 32x or lower...but cd lifespan isn't a problem for me so i just crank up the speed...

wawadave

wawadave

hello
if any of your players have trouble reading cd,s burnt at highest speed rule of thumb is to burn at slower speed till all can read them. speed makes a difference in some things.

NoBoB

NoBoB

If your playback units don't experience difficulty playing back your burned discs, you should use your burner at its design speed. Testing has shown that errors actually increase as a high-speed burner is slowed down. Unless you have a recorder/media/player mismatch -- which sometimes can be helped by slower burn speeds -- you should be fine using the fastest available speed supported by the media.

U

uart

Originally posted by NoBoB
If your playback units don't experience difficulty playing back your burned discs, you should use your burner at its design speed. Testing has shown that errors actually increase as a high-speed burner is slowed down. Unless you have a recorder/media/player mismatch -- which sometimes can be helped by slower burn speeds -- you should be fine using the fastest available speed supported by the media.
NoBob. A rule of thumb that I like to use when slowing down a burn is to use the maximum speed that the Burner can manage at the start of disk (inner tracks) and set that as the burn speed for the entire burn.

This typically translates to about 16x to 20x constant for a 40x burner and 24x constant for a 48x or 52x burner. On some model burners I've found it can really increase the reliability of the burn by allowing it to burn the entire disk without speed change.

Also the time difference is much less than you'd expect from simple comparison of the numbers. This of course is due to the fact that a 48x burner typically only achives that speed for a small period at near the end of a burn. For example I find that a 24x (constant speed) burn usually only takes about 30 seconds (or about 20%) longer than a 48x (variable speed) burn! Something like that anyway, I dont really notice the time difference.

Last edited:
chetmichaels

chetmichaels

Peon in training
i always just rip and burn at 16x cuz even when i burn at 48x its not that much quicker anyway. plus if i have a lot of cds to burn i can run 2 cdrs at 16x. i havent tried 3 simu with the dvd burner yet tho...

Associates