Building a TV capable Desktop

M

MJHThree

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a little bit of help from anyone and everyone that has knowledge on how to set up a TV capable Desktop system. I am fairly new to the computer building world and am currently working with a P4 e-machine and a Rage 128 Pro from ATI (I simply have them, not sure if the card will work best). I am trying to set up a home desktop computer that I can watch TV on as well as use it for regular computer use (Windows, online, basic stuff). I need a lot of information since I am new to this.

I am wondering what size drive would work best, what kind of cards do I need, what type of screen should I be looking into in order to be able to use it exactly like a TV (Remote & all), how do I set up sound, etc. Any assistance with personal knowledge or where to go to get this information would be greatly appreciated. I will not be using the system for online gaming although I may hook up some sort of playstation type system and play if it is possible. I am building this system more so to be able to combine my computer and TV since my living situation is that tight!

I appreciate and look forward to all of your input,

Mike
edit by admin: no contact info on the forum, thank you

MAyers57

MAyers57

Elder Geek
I currently have an external usb tuner from ADS. Nothing special needed outsided of this box. Unit costs around 89.00 and you simply install the software for it. Uses the default sound from your system. You can record scheduled shows. Uses a TV guide based on your zip code. Works great. It buffers the video so even a middle of the range pc can handle it.
I have two monitors, so I watch tv on the right hand monitor while I work, well try to work, on the left hand monitor.
I have found that the TV tuner cards, which already run hot, run even hotter while watching tv. With the external box it tends to stay a lot cooler. So my biased opinion is for the ext usb box.

krupted

krupted

ive tried all the pvr programs and imo nothing really comes close to the useability and compatibility of windows media center. i have two vista media center boxes now, wouldnt go any other route.

MAyers57

MAyers57

Elder Geek
I'm not not all that commited to Media. I watch a little TV in the background and maybe listen to a little net radio. That's the extent of my media. I try and keep it simple.
But I'm curious, what can you do on the WMC that I can't do w/o an added piece of software? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a WMC system as opposed to any other system?

krupted

krupted

as far as features go, really nothing. as far as everything as a whole package, its a no brainer. its integrated into the os, so its fast and reliable (really, it is). everything is designed to be easy. and it is. i guess its hard to explain, just try it out for awhile. you wont find anything that works as fluently. just dont forget to get the mce remote kit, makes all the difference too and the best part is no installation, mce just works with it.

MAyers57

MAyers57

Elder Geek
Yeah, I've heard people rave about it, even before I decided on XP Pro. I just figured I could buy any program and achieve the same results. But apparently I was wrong. Especially nowadays with people using their 2nd pc as a media center in the living rooms. I guess that's exactly what it is was designed for.

Associates