broadband speeds

W

weissmertz

i have charter . its supposed to be upto 100mbs but im only at 42 .a friend across town is getting 82 .charter told me my bottleneck is my pc [email protected] my friends pc is a [email protected] should ibe getting the same speed or is it really my older pc

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
I doubt it would be your system. Even s775 MBs had gigabit ethernet.

What make/model modem and router do you have?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
For the router, do you mean a FD5-7324? If so, that that's only a 802.11g router. You need an 802.11n or 802.11ac router to get higher speeds. 802.11g is limited to a theoretical 54mbps, which explains your 42.

W

weissmertz

if im using it as a wired router will it make a difference if i get a 802.11n or ac

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
if im using it as a wired router will it make a difference if i get a 802.11n or ac
802.11n and ac are WIRELESS standards.

The FD5-7324-4 has 10/100 wired ports, so that shouldn't bottleneck your connection.

W

weissmertz

i bought a netgear n300 router that has a lan rate
of 307 and a wireless rate 300mbs it cost a total of 11.25 on ebay hope it works as it should
thanks for all the help did i make a good purchase w/ a signifiant perfomance boost charter here i think is 100mbs

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Wow. That's pretty cheap. n300 is an entry level 802.11n router, but it should do.

Note that you also need 802.11n wireless network cards on your PCs. If you have an 802.11n router but only 802.11g network cards, you will still be limited to 802.11g speeds.

W

weissmertz

im still using the lan but my wife has a laptop illhave to do some research on the connection on it . its a dell inspiron 1501

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Charter does list 802.11n as a requirement for "Ultra 100" speeds.
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=59

Internet Ultra 100

Operating system requirement of Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Macintosh OS 10.x
A 1000 Mbps (1Gbps) full duplex capable Network Interface Card (NIC)
If using a 3rd party home network, a 100 Mbps home networking devices
If wireless network a 802.11N
At least a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem and capable of operating at our 100 Mbps service level

glussier

glussier

Midknyte, that laptop is 8 years old, it's not worth putting any money onto it.

The ops already said that his internet connexion is at 42mb/s, so what will an N connexion will give him? You should know that 802.11G is enough to max his internet connexion. This is an extremely slow laptop, not worth putting any money onto that.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
42 is what is he getting now. His max connection is 100mbps (theoretical). He wanted to get closer to 100.
i have charter . its supposed to be upto 100mbs but im only at 42
The only way to get closer to 100mbps would be to upgrade the hardware. Whether it is worth the investment is for him to decide.

glussier

glussier

He is getting 42mb on his wired internet connexion, so, don't expect that he will be getting better over wifi.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Hmm. I was under the impression that his desktop was the wired one, not the laptop. If the wired connection on the laptop is getting 42, then I'd agree.

Still, it won't hurt to have an 802.11n router. When he gets a new system, it will be able to access the higher speeds.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Ok. I went back and reread the posts.

If both the desktop and laptop were using wired connections and only getting 42mbps, then it could just be old hardware. Fast Ethernet (100mbps) should have been enough, but Charter is recommending Gigabit cards.

In any case, don't buy the USB adapter yet. See if replacing the router helps first. It's possible that the Belkin's WAN throughput is too low.

I still think it was a good move to replace the router. It was only $11.25 and you'd need it eventually.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
The other thing we didn't bring up is the modem. Did you check with Comcast if it is approved for 100mbps? I couldn't find any info on an arris t882 modem.

Associates