BIOS Shot Craps???

T

the_morrigu

Ok, I need suggestions...

Two days ago, my computer was working perfectly. I was in Windows 98 and did a Shutdown. I walked away from my computer (it turns itself off via APM). When I came back 10-15 minutes later, I had a blinking underline cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

I tried to turn the computer off manually, but the power switch wouldn't cut the power! I removed the plug from the back of the PC, waited a few minutes, plugged it back in, turned the PC on, and BLAM - I get no video, the hard drive light goes on but never goes out, I get two quick beeps, then a sound out of the speaker that sounds like a fog horn (two different tones immediately following each other), and that's it!

I checked with the BIOS manufacturer, and found that two beeps is usually memory related (although I find it hard to believe that 2 32MB DIMMs would both fail at exactly the same moment!), but could find no beep codes that even slightly resembled the "foghorn".

I called the motherboard manufacturer (BIOSTAR) and they had me do all sorts of things (most of which I had already tried) and finally told me that it sounds like the BIOS shot craps on me and that the motherboard (an M5ALA) would need to be replaced.

I have done the following:

removed all cards except video, swapped video cards, tried both DIMMs seperately and together in each of my 2 DIMM slots, reseated the processor, cleared the BIOS, removed the power connector to the motherboard before doing each item above.

The only one that seemed to make a difference was removing the processor (AMD K6-2 300). After I did that, I still didn't get any video, but I didn't get any beeps......until I hit the reset switch, then it went back to the 2 beeps, foghorn, no video. The whole time, the power switch had no effect! I had to unplug the power to the back of the case to turn the PC off (it would turn it on fine).

Does everyone concur with the BIOS diagnosis? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

T

the_morrigu

oops, a typo....

where I say "removing the processor", i meant "reseating the processor"

R

Rob Cee

Did you try removing the motherboard from the case? Sounds like it may have grounded itself out. If your motherboard touches any metal, out goes the ram and video. Give it a shot, it sounds like your last one..

Godd Luck,
Rob Cee

T

t_bomb

I'd have to concur with RC. Take the MB out of the case and (its a blancing act) connect only a video card and power supply and floppy drive as it should override a hard drive and if you can at least boot a floppy, its a start. If still no video and the floppy light stays on, try another power supply AT or ATX if you have the option. If still no go, bios is toast. I have been there only it was my fault using one MB flash bios on another DA :-(

T

the_morrigu

Thanks for the ideas....

I was unable to try the last suggestions about trying the MB out of the case before I sent it back for replacement, but I was able to determine that it was indeed the BIOS. I accidentally "discovered" that the "foghorn sound" would play any time I hit the delete key on the keyboard. The delete key on the keyboard is the key that takes me into the BIOS. So the foghorn was apparently an "I can't get into the BIOS" kind of error sound!

Associates