Better Video Card Help Web Surfing? Your Input Wanted!

X

xroyal

MountainLakeMan
I have a ATI Rage IIC 2meg video card, and wonder if a better video card would help me pull up graphics faster and increase my web surfing speed (Am not a gamer). Am considering Voodoo3 1000 or 2000, but would welcome any suggestions. My basic system is [email protected]/128MB PC-100/7200 RPM HD. Any ideas? Thanks for any input!

J

JollyRoger

Well a graphics card might improve your resolution capabilitys, but I don't think your web surfing speed will change much, as it is mostly related to your modem (or whatever) linkup speed

------------------
AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows 98

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I have nearly the same card as you (ATI 3D Charger 2mb w/ Rage II+ chip), I've tried friend's systems with better cards, the browsing speeds seems the same, so the videocard seems not to be the problem...

But here's a trick that may help to browse faster, it helped alot with my card: don't use 24-bit color depth: scrolling in IE seems to refresh very slowly. Use 16 or 32-bit color instead.

X

xroyal

MountainLakeMan
Thanks, Have been and am using 16 bit High Color. Also have USR/3Com 56K Sportster, normally connecting 49.3-50.6.

C

CTho9305

the only thing your video card can help with is let it redraw faster as you scroll. the loading time is the same on my GTS as my 4 meg S3 virge. your "bottleneck" is your internet connection.

M

mx-6*

Exactly!! Your internet connection would have to be millions of bps for your video card to be slowing you down. Even a T1 or T3 line can't keep up with your old tired video card.

Of course some boneheaded salesperson at compusa or bestbuy would be fast to tell you otherwise. Most computer sales people have absolutely no clue and rely on us being on their level in order to get buy with the BS that they spew.

I laugh everytime I hear one of them explaining to some non-knowing customer that the reason their computer seems so slow while surfing the net is because they don't have a P3 with a 32meg video card and 56x cdrom!!

X

xroyal

MountainLakeMan
I'm stuck with regular dialup for now. So, given that I don't game or engage in fancy graphics, should this ATI Rage IIC 2 meg be enough for me? I did read that some video cards are more CPU dependant, and went to hardware modem partially for this reason. Is there another low end video card better than above ATI? Thanks

M

Marek88

hey now dont be talking trash about people at bestbuy. i can go try different hardware parts if i want and it only takes me about 15 sec to lose the comp tech guy when i explain him whats wrong with the item. i kinda like that. we all know they dont know s..t right?