Best Low Profile CPU Cooler?

PrinceOfPersia

PrinceOfPersia

The Prince Of Babylon
Hi, Just built a media centre with a Xilence CPU cooler, it has this "frame less design" and to be honest it was a waste of £12!

Its on an Intel skt775, Dual-Core 2GHz CPU, not even overclocked, after leaving it on for 10 mins on just the bios screen, the CPU runs at 45 degrees.

Can someone suggest a much cooler cpu cooler, that is slim, cannot be as big as a 120mm fan on it as this won't fit, also its a slim media centre case so nothing bulky.

Btw, does anyone know how hot this CPU should run at usually?

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

SPCR has a two-part review of low-profile heatsink designs. Their focus is mainly on quietness but temperatures and Intel stock coolers are included. I only read part 1 and the winner was the Scythe Big Shuriken with a slim 113mm fan. Converting from the review price to pounds gives me £18, don't know if it's too expensive for you but IMO it's worth it for the overall (fan+heatsink) quality. Part 2 seems to have mods and slightly bigger models, so it might be worth measuring if you decide to choose one of them.

PrinceOfPersia

PrinceOfPersia

The Prince Of Babylon
Strangely enough, thats the same review I read!I saw the Scythe Big Shuriken and was amazed at the results, then I saw the picture :(

The fan is too big, as I have a great intel flower cooler with a 120mm fan, but it now hits the RAM and side of the case due to being on a mATX motherboard, so this ones not gonna fit either, which sucks... But what would be next best?

It seems the coolers with copper and heatpipes are cooler...

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Well, the other ones in the roundup are either taller or have sub-par performance :(

What's your case and motherboard model ? Are you also much limited in height ?
If not then a Mini Ninja might fit.

PrinceOfPersia

PrinceOfPersia

The Prince Of Babylon
Well looking at the Ninja link, the motherboard they used is quite similar, it is an ASUS PK5-something mATX board, the case is generic, although looks quiet similar in layout to the one in the pics, they even have the same RAM in that review, just mine is 4-4-4-12

I'm pretty much ready to buy that cooler, all I need to make sure is that a fan can fit on the cooler and not hit anything like the RAM or any board components, because in the pics, without a fan on, it looks quite a tight fit...

Can this Mini Ninja even run without a fan on it? It must overheat without a fan and just a heatsink on the CPU?

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I'm pretty much ready to buy that cooler, all I need to make sure is that a fan can fit on the cooler and not hit anything like the RAM or any board components, because in the pics, without a fan on, it looks quite a tight fit..
I have two full-size Ninjas and on both of my motherboards the fan fits over my RAM without problem (I just have to remove the fan if I want to remove a stick in the first slots).

The fan's attachment clips lets you change the vertical position of the fan so you can put it above your memory; if you look at this picture for example, the fan is placed very low but if you look at the clip's available space at the bottom, you could raise the fan nearly one more inch and clear your memory slots. Only downside is that the fan will protrude from the heatsink at the top, but you won't lose much cooling performance if any.

Here's what the full size Ninja looks like on one of my systems, that might give you a better idea for memory clearance (sorry for the crappy pic) :

As for height available from the base, from this picture the Mini Ninja seems to be 1/8" lower.

If you're still not sure you could always try to Google your board model with the Mini Ninja, hopefully at least another person out there would have this setup :D It works without a fan (SPCR tested it passive later in the review), but you need a cool processor and very good airflow, with preferably an exhaust fan right next to it.

Associates