Best External CDRW Drive

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
Some suggestions please...

I am looking for the best external CDRW drive I can buy. I assume that USB 2.0 is my best bet. This drive is going to be used primarily for disc duplication of text files for training materials and such. However, since it is going to be donated (I work for a non-profit) I would like the best available.

Any help would be great. Thank You.

Last edited:
ris

ris

super moderator
i think that usb2 is definitely the way forward for you if you are after something with decent rated speeds. i think usb1 maxes out at 4 or 8x.

krupted

krupted

just bought this for my mom, AMAZED by the quality and just how good it works, for $110 shipped, its AWESOME.

only letback is that it is a bit noisy during high speed recording.

VERY VERY VERY FAST, full cd in 2min29sec

see pic, its real small and has a trippy swirl on it, you can see your disc spinnin in action

Attachments

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I haven't been around to reply but I have been doin some traveling. I don't think I can get a Plextor because the internal one that I bought leaves a high pitched squeal in the right speaker whenever I burn something. Does anyone know about the Cendyne External burners? I know CNET.com gave it a great review, but was wondering if anyone had one to give me another opinion.

krupted

krupted

yep- cendyne is rebagged lite-on.

actually, if you want a faster, cheaper solution, go buy a $55 liteon 52x24x52 internal from pricewatch and a external drive bay kit from ebay for $40. I was going to do that, but i know my mom likes the small size and looks of the one i bought. I bet the kit option is a lot quieter though

and yes, usb1.1 maxes out at 4x, usb 2.0 and the skys the limit

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
Thanks for the input. I just may have to do the internal/external bay idea. Besides being cheaper, it may give me something to do at work.. so bored...:)