Best cpu cooling for $50?

d94

d94

I have a p4 2.6/800 cpu
i have a goal of getting this sucker to 3.4ghz with the lowest temp possible
I just sold my zalman cnps7000a-cu for $40 because i lost the p4 mounting clips, but had the amd ones. So, i've heard that there's better cooling out there than zalman and i'd like to hear what everone else has to say.
If the price is more than $50, but is worth it, then feel free to suggest it. I'm not saying i'd spend $200 on watter cooling, but if its under 100 and really performs, please feel free to share :)

thanks
-d94

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Thermalright has a monstrous aluminum hsf coming out. I don't know if it's available in retail yet, but it can accomodate a 120mm fan! It puts all other air coolers to shame.

A

Arris

I pretty much swear by ThermalRight.
I've had an SK-6, SLK-800 and SLK-948U.
All have cooled my CPUs with slow reasonable CFM fans.
Quality kit.

grover

grover

Ex pert
Another vote for Thermalright here- they came on the scene and just started kicking ass! I've got my P4 cooled with an SP-94 and a 92mm Vantec Tornado- the tornado really is overkill, and I never run it more than half throttle, but it's nice to have the extra cooling if I need it ;)

They've got some incredible aluminim heatpipes out soon (now?) that are worth checking into. Failing that, the SP-94 was their top-of-the-line when I bought it in march, edging out their SLK series, and I think it'll give you the performance you want :)

According to my thermal probe, me SP-94 keeps my PC at 28°C idle to 36°C max on stress tests. (The mobo reads it as 45° all the time, wavering less than 1° either way, regardless of load, so I don't trust that as much as my thermal probe.)

W

woodman19_99

Grand Exalted Puba
I'll add another vote for the SP-94. I am using that coupled with a very quiet 80mm fan that I pulled of an old case and it keeps my [email protected] cooled to 42 at idle and 51 at full load on default.

I know I could do better with a different fan, but it just shows you how well the heatsink does even with a pretty crappy (but quiet) fan on there.

Just my opinion.

Oliy

Oliy

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
Thermalright has a monstrous aluminum hsf coming out. I don't know if it's available in retail yet, but it can accomodate a 120mm fan! It puts all other air coolers to shame.
If you're not scared of spiders or 'facehuggers' out of aliens, I'd love to see this one mounted inside someone's system :)

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
Originally posted by Oliy
If you're not scared of spiders or 'facehuggers' out of aliens, I'd love to see this one mounted inside someone's system :)
Oh I've contemplated it, alright... It should weigh about the same or less than my current SLK-800U.

Todd a

Todd a

You mean this one:

It is for sale at SVC but listed as Limitted quanities and not in stock at the time. It runs $49.95:

http://www.svc.com/xp-120-p4-21.html

The cool thing about this heatsink is it is a copper base and copper heatpipes (5 total) with aluminum fins and is all zink coated to look pretty. It is actually pretty lite compaired to the SP-94 at only 370g. I takes a 120mm fan and is currently only avaluable for the P4 socket 478.

Todd a

Todd a

Associates