Best card for mainly 2D?

A

aphex

I am currently running a STB Velocity 4400. Its an original TNT card and frankly, its become an old pile of rubbish. The rest of my system has been updated (specs below). I spend most of my day looking at console screens, designing webpages and so on. Not much 3D (although virtuall all cards do 3D fine now). I am looking for something that can do high refresh rates and has an extremely clear/crisp picture. Any ideas? I was thinking of getting a Radeon All-In-Wonder since I do a little bit of video editing but I hear that the Win2000 support for the card sucks. Please let me know

-aphex

==System Specs==
PIII-600EB
Asus P3B-F
512MB Corsair PC133 SDRAM
Sound Blaster Live!
2x 3COM 3C905 NICs
TI Firewire Card
================

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Definately the Matrox G400 or 450. Crispiest and most beautiful 2D around, and video editing using hardware MJPEG codec if you take the Marvel version of the G400.

The G450 eTV has the same stunning visual quality, some more features, but the video capture is done by a MPEG 2 codec in software (more CPU intensive), but it's ok if you do just a little bit of video editing, so you might be better with the G450 if you don't do any very serious video editing.

Here's some info about the G450 eTV:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/marv_g450_etv/home.cfm

Good luck!

------------------
Pentium II 350 MHz
160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
Voodoo3 3000 AGP
Guillemot MaxiSound Fortissimo
Windows 98SE

K

K6-III

It should also make the already cheap G450 even cheaper.

------------------
Gimme my TriLevel Cache

Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams

FWIW: I use a GF3 on an older Sony 21-inch monitor that uses a BNC cable and it is incredibly clear. I have used a Matrox Millenium and a G200 with this monitor and I think the GF3 is just as good if not better than them. I realize this card could be out of many people's budget (mine cost 320) but I really like it. It's 3D performance is pretty decent also

------------------
Friends don't let friends buy P4s.

D

dmm

Linda's verbal backstop
The G400MAX is probably the better choice on a price\performance basis.

Dave

Scavengers

------------------
DUDE - Your face is as blue as this screen. Just reboot, you know you like it.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Originally posted by dmm:
The G400MAX is probably the better choice on a price\performance basis.

Dave

Scavengers

Note that you would get slightly faster 3D with the Millenium G400 MAX but you would lose the video editing features of the Marvel G400.

------------------
Pentium II 350 MHz
160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
Voodoo3 3000 AGP
Guillemot MaxiSound Fortissimo
Windows 98SE

O

Omnicent

The Matrox would be fine and better than the GF3, but if you want an even balance that get an Ati Radeon 64Mb DDR.

------------------
Athlon 1.13Ghz @ 1.4 Ghz
ASUS A7A266
3D Prophet II MX 64
SBLive! X-Gamer
320 Mb SDRAM
30Gb WD 7200 RPM HD
12x DVD Encore
Dxr3 Decoder Card
Creative 8x4x32 CD-RW
TV Wonder VE
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet