Best 500+ Watt Power supply?

H

HOANGPHU

I wanted to get a good power supply that I will not need to upgrade for 3 years --- Antec True550 550Watt at TCWO.com. What are my other choices? I like Antec because I have used them for 5 + years and never had a problem.

T

tysidor

Antec and Enermax are your two best bets. They are the only two brand powersupplys I ever buy.

Dave_B

Dave_B

Overclocking Duffus
Yes it can when using a high-powered CPU like your XP 2200+. I have the same PS as you and I think it may be hitting the wall on my P4 system. I have a PP412X coming and I'mm gonna see if it helps. In my case, when I OC any P4 to 3 GHz or so, the core voltage drops off considerably as does the +5V rail. Now it could be the mobo regulators or the PS or a combination of the two. But since the PP352X can provide 180W of combined +5V and 3.3V power while the PP412X can go to 245W, I should know better by Monday.

BTW, I had an XP 2200+ OD'd to 1985 MHz on a Shuttle AK35GT2R that ran rock stable with a 300W PS that was spec'd at 220W combined +5V and 3.3V power. But there really wasn't much else in the box, only a GF4 Ti4200, one HD, a CD-ROM and CD Burner.

P

PeteAir

Why would you look ahead 3 years, for power supply requirements? Hardware changes so fast that in 3 years a 1000 watt might be the basic. Three years ago 235 - 250 was an outrages amount of power. I have always found that buy what you need today, and worry about tomarrow when it gets here worked for me.

H

HOANGPHU

PeteAir : you are correct and I should not plan so far in the future but it is nice to have something that will be able to support at least the near future requirements.

Toolbox: Those are truely nice power supplies but I don't have that much money to spend. Thanks for the info!

Associates