Beating a Dead Horse

Sir Flannel

Sir Flannel

Resident Curmudgeon
I want to go over the Windows Swap File (one more time). I'm now running Windows 7 64 bit, with 24GB of RAM. I run a memory usage app, and it consistantly shows I never really use even HALF of my physical memory. Yet, everything I can find says to leave the page file anywhere from 1 to 3 times system memory. So far I've left Windows to do it, and it keeps it at 25GB. Why?? What about the option of making 10-12GB into a RAM drive, and putting the swap file on it? No, I'm not having performance issues, I'm just curious and I can never leave well enough alone.

glussier

glussier

Don't reserve 12GB of ram for the swap is bad ram use. Why don't you make the swap a variable size 1GB to 24GB, your swap will never get increase over that minimum 1GB size. Leave the swap on the hard-drive, setting-it in ram won't improve your computer speed anyway.

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
I have 8 gigs of ram on my Win 7 machine and very seldom use half of it;)

Now a days the swap file is "set it and forget it."

Years ago I set my swap file to a ram drive. Sure seemed to go faster...but after the second time I had a system crash that was really ugly - I quit doing it... I also used to set my IE temp files to go to a ram drive... It too was faster... Then I switched to FF and could surf even faster:p

glussier

glussier

Because I have large ssd's now, (Intel 520 480GB), I stopped playing with the swap file. But, When I had those Intel 80GB G2 drives, I used a low value for the swap minimum size.

glussier

glussier

Well, 640KB seemed huge when I had my first trs80 model 1 computer, with it's own 48KB limit.

Associates