Bargain power supplies?

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I know, I know, you get what you pay... Blah blah blah....

Not even close to universally true. In today's economy people need to bargain hunt and I have had a lot of cheap Newegg power supplies that worked beautifully or at very least were good enough to fail quietly without other consequences.

In any case I am really more of a hobbyist and I have VERY limited monies to work with, but I would like to get a few power supplies just to have on hand when folks need them. I do do the odd job so I am looking for 3-5 and looking for discounts on shipping if possible. Ideally I'd like to send no more than about $60, maybe $80 and get some 500-600W, which I know is asking a lot and as low as 400-450W models are of interest too especially the lower the price. So long as they can come close to the rated specs and at very least have no reputation for catching fire or killing other parts is all I ask.

So any info, be it a specific PSU, review sites that are easy to navigate and with concise yet descriptive and easy to browse reviews, or outlets that I might look at for purchasing other than Newegg, would really be appreciated.

Shinma

Shinma

Seasonic.
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500, OCZ ModXStream Pro 600

List of some websites with fairly decent power supply reviews, LINK

krupted

krupted

enermax, antec/seasonic and FSP are all make good budget supplies. $60 for 500w power supply is pretty norm if you look a little

Justintime

Justintime

I'd stay away from FSP, if their current line is like the Epsilon platform i've been plauged with over the years, plus the bloody 43 units of 300W psus in mini pcs that had to be replaced due to 18 dying in 7 months and the company finally admitting a coutrywide problem, FSP OEM units mind you ;)

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I have had a lot of cheap Newegg power supplies that worked beautifully or at very least were good enough to fail quietly without other consequences.
Like this one ? :p

For a cheapy I'd probably go with a Seasonic SS. Antec Earthwatts are decent too, but have horrible fans if you want something quiet (got two in a row with audible chatter from bad bearings, needed to do a fan swap).

Corsair CX400 (sadly on its way out) and VX450 are also great units. The newer CX430 is apparently a step down though.

L

lssanjose

I'll take a look into corsair for my next purchase. Right now my Antec 550 is doing the job sufficiently.

Associates