Bad Move

Pa902

Pa902

Like a dope I bought a P3 933mhz 133fsb processer for my computer not realizing that my computer doesn't support a 133 bus -it is an option in the bios but the manual says 100 is the max -Will this thing run ok with the fsb set for 100 - I think i can get it running like 800mhz -I'm looking for a new board but there aren't many out there for this processor -hope I dont sound stupid im still learning -thanks

H

hotwheelsjr

Intel has a locked multiplier on thier processors, so your processor should be locked at 7.0 (7x133=933)...if you try running at 100MHz FSB you should be running at 700MHz...it should work. Can't hurt to try it. I haven't seen any processors fry by under-clocking them...only over-clocking them.

What mobo do you currently have? Your best bet is to get a mobo that supports 133MHz FSB...they're a dime a dozen on-line.

Raccoon

Raccoon

Slacker
If you're lucky, you can get the thing running att 133 MHz fsb with your current mobo. Take the BX boards for example: most of them didn't support 133 MHz fsb officially, but many ran their CPUs at 133MHz fsb anyway (I did...PIII [email protected]). Worked just fine.

Tell us about the mobo, that will help a lot.

Pa902

Pa902

I tried running at 7 x 133 and the computer keeps locking up -it's a soyo sy-6ba+

H

hotwheelsjr

Man, that's an ooooold board. It's a 440BX chipset, but it has not had an updated bios since August 2000. Your best bet is to get a newer mobo that does officially support the 133MHz FSB. Slot 1 mobos are coming harder and harder to find brand new. You are probably going to have to find a good one used. You do have a slot 1 processor, right? It's not a socket 370 on a slot 1 converter is it? If it is a socket 370...there's lot's of them to still be found new.

Good luck.:(

H

hotwheelsjr

I'm probably not the best to ask on the Abit....I've been an Asus fan for years. I haven't ever ran a Abit board. Maybe we can get the moderator to move this thread to "Motherboards" and you'll get a better answer.

O

OverclockNStein

" I tried running at 7 x 133 and the computer keeps locking up -it's a soyo sy-6ba+ "

There may be some other factors why your PC locks up when you try for a 133 FSB

* Memory my be PC-100, and not PC-133
* Check your AGP bus to make sure it's at 1/2 of fsb, and not 2/3
* maybe your CPU volts is incorrect
* make sure your BIOS is up to date.... check soyo

I own an Abit BX-133 (440BX chipset), even with a P3-750 (7.5*100) I am almost able to reach 133 fsb

I was able to reach 130 fsb (975mhz), but wouldn't post at 133...wierd

Associates