audigy (4) - device cannot start

G

gazix

Searched for the work audigy int the fourms, skimmed through 7 pages of results.

Was hoping that windows 7 could fix this problem, but no. Same issues. Currently creative has no official drivers, but windows update does.

Running windows xp. Always running the latest drivers. Tried wiping the drive and reinstalling xp, moving the card to another slot. Doesn't matter if the on board sound is disabled in the bios or not. Same problems. The card is detected and install of the drivers is fine. It is just that on power up, always get the device cannot start under device manager with the accompanied exclamation point.

It is seen as Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)

After uninstall and restart, it is automatically detected (still exclamation point) as : Creative SB Audigy 4 (WDM)

Then I have to uninstall again, redirect to the previously extracted drivers and then all works fine. Until I have to power down again. Restarting the computer seems to have no ill effects.

Tried searching the web as well and didn't find any useful answers. Getting really tired of having to go through this process every time I turn on my computer.

evimoore

evimoore

First, I think you should write more clearly so we can understand the full context of what you're saying. The description of your problems needs to be more detailed, and you need to list your system components like you see in my signature so people have a better idea of what you're running. Seems to me you're having some sort of hardware conflict,

Creative has terrible driver support in my opinion. They've gotten better in the past year, but I've had all sorts of issues with my various sound blaster cards over the years.

How old is the sound card? Has it worked on this system before without problems, or is it brand new? Are you using the sound card drivers from the disk, or are you using the drivers from the creative website? Which specific Audigy card do you have?

I can tell you from experience that you should use the drivers from the disc first. A lot of the updated drivers from the creative website ask that you first have the original driver installed first.

Last edited:
evimoore

evimoore

update:

I checked the creative website and there are drivers available for windows 7, but they are for the XI-FI edition. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work with your card too. Regardless of which operating system you want to use, install the XI-FI drivers and see if they work. I was reading on another forum that said the XI-FI drivers were working fine for other people who have an Audigy series card.

G

gazix

Can I be more detailed of the problem? On boot it detects the card, uses the drivers I provide, says device cannot start. Uninstall, reboot, uninstall again, reinstall, works fine.

The card is almost 5 years old, has been doing the same thing since day one. Got used to having to go through this everyday since. Just happens that windows 7 (rc) is out and was hoping it would finally be resolved. Was I ever wrong.

I initially used the disc drivers for my audigy 4 card with spdif out. Bought it new (oem). When a new version comes out, start using them instead.

amd 3000+
1gig ram
asus a8v deluxe mobo

evimoore

evimoore

Yes, you can always be more detailed about the problem. I guess you don't have a power supply, video card or any PCI cards running in that computer of yours because I don't see them listed?

Windows 7 won't fix the problem. It's up to Creative to supply driver support. If anything you're more likely to have more driver problems with new operating systems not less.

My guess is you've never been working with the right drivers, they've never been installed properly, or you've got some kind of hardware conflict going on. 5 years is a long time to be having the same problem. Have you contacted Creative directly?

When you formatted the computer and reinstalled the drivers, did you use the drivers from the disc? I'd stick with the disc drivers first, and then use any updated drivers if they don't work. But at this point I think maybe you should completely unistall the device, delete the creative folder from the Program Files directory and then try to install the XI-FI drivers.

Last edited:
G

gazix

How would the power supply will effect anything? Unless it was like a 200watt.... Don't really see how the video or pci cards are related either. If we are going down to that level of detail, do I need to list off the type of keyboard, mouse, speakers, scanner, other usb devices, monitor, ram timing, type of dvd-rw, cabling, case fans, level of dust in my case, how often do I use my floppy drive?

Not trying to be an ***, but how far do I need to go with seemingly unrelated hardware?

Creative, they were no use. Just said to pull the card and/or reinstall the drivers. That was the extent of their knowledge.

These are windows 7;windows update, fully ms approved creative drivers. So I would assume they are good to go.

Odd that the exact same drivers would not install properly the first time, but after restart (have to do uninstall/reinstall in the correct order otherwise won't work) point windows to the same drivers and everything is gravy.

evimoore

evimoore

Gazix, I won't explain to you the importance of listing your system configuration in its entirety because it's not helping you solve your problem, but when you come to a computer forum and ask for help with a hardware related problem it's a good idea to list everything that's inside your computer so people know what you're working with and what we're dealing with. That was my overriding point.

Try installing the XI-FI drivers.

evimoore

evimoore

If you're using drivers from 2006 then you aren't running the latest drivers. The ones from the Creative website are newer.

Associates