Audigy 2ZS in Vista 64

L

lee_uk

Hi , ive got Vista 64 and at the moment using the onboard sound of the Asus P5b Deluxe , is it worth installing the Audigy 2 card . I'm Sure i read somewhere that the onboard sound uses more cpu power compared to a dedicated card , is this true also for Vista .
Everything is working fine at the moment but if there is a performance gain from installing the Audigy then i will install it . Play BF2/HL2/RomeTW and Flight SimX.
Lee.

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

If you don't already own an Audigy 2 ZS I would buy an X-fi instead. It has EAX 5.0 support compared to the Audigy 2's 4.0

I truly liked all the little tricks and features with my Audigy 2. And it was always nice to be able to crank sound settings in games up.
But the thing is, are you having problems with CPU load if that is the reason you are doing this?

L

lee_uk

Thanks for the reply , the only reason i am considering installing the card because its sitting here doing nothing , just upgraded my whole sysem and didnt bother installing it in the first place. Lee.

L

lee_uk

Ok installed it with 64 bit drivers , no problems apart from no joystick port . Did a quick search on the net and there is a problem with the drivers , so no midi/joystick , hmm thats a bit of a downer. Suppose my Sidewinder that uses the old gameport connector is a bit old now , time for a nice usb one.Thanks for your help.( I knew i should of dual booted XP/Vista)

Last edited:
krupted

krupted

has anyone else noticed the vista beta drivers for the audigy2zs makes the card sound like tin cans? this card was borderline acceptable in xp, but now with vista it sounds horribly similar to my old nf7-s soundstorm audio...

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

I've never used the card in vista...well I did once in the RC1 but never really did use vista, being that was on my Athlon XP. But when I did have it running it didn't sound bad.

But the Audigy 2 ZS does produce sound, better than my AC97..I just got it cause it was platinum for 75 bucks. Who wouldn't leap at a deal like that?

Associates