ATI Rage Fury (32 Meg) vs. Voodoo3 3000

A

Agent Orange

I currently have a Voodoo3 3500 (which is basically a Voodoo3 3000 with a TV and FM Tuner) and it doesn't perform well for me in DirectX and DOS games. I'm going to trade it for an ATI Rage Fury. I have a FIC VA-503+ and an AMD K6-2 533MHz... Would this perform better for me than the Voodoo3 3500 did?

D

drzaius

lord no.
actually the V3 3500 is also clocked higher then the V3 3000 from 166/166mhz to 183/183mhz.
but no the Rage won't be any faster then your current card (it's not even as fast as a V3 2000) the Rage FuryPro on the other hand is slightly faster then a V3 2000, maybe as fast as a V3 3000(maybe)

as for DOS support what game are you playing that requires something better then a V3 3500?

the only cards that are significantly faster then the V3 3500 are:
Geforce/2
Voodoo 4/5 series
ATI Radeon
but that's about it

------------------
cel [email protected], Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1gig, GTS 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.

A

Agent Orange

Well, I used to have a Savage4 and then a TNT2 and they both performed better in DOS games and applications (Duke Nukem 3D, some SNES emulators) than my Voodoo3 3500 does.

The reason that I got rid of my Savage4 and TNT2 were because I didn't know anything about video cards whatsoever back then, and I didn't think they supported OpenGL (heh). So, I took them back and traded for a Voodoo3 3000 PCI (which performed like crap on my system)... I then traded once again for the Voodoo3 3500.

D

drzaius

well if you go back to a TNT2 get the ultra one. it should offer similar preformance as a V3 3500 and Nvidia should have support for DOS

------------------
cel [email protected], Kyro and SDRAM GOOD. P3 1gig, GTS 64meg/V5 6k and RDRAM BAD.

A

Agent Orange

So you're saying that the ATI Rage Fury isn't even as good as the TNT2 (Ultra)?

M

moyukhums

The rage fury smokes an old school tnt at 32bit, and matches a tnt2. The pro can match a tnt2 ultra/voodoo3 3000, barely. I say stick with your 3500. One thing though - I used to have trouble with dos games too, but I got some program (someone help me here) that let me use vesa version 2.0 - it was like graphic doctor or something. I wouldn't change my card just for dos games. Wait up and upgrade to a geforce later.

D

DocMigru

Agent, stay with your current system. It's the best combination available. The TNT2 is less effective on AMD-K6-2-systems and the Ati is a very slow crap. The only thing Ati performs well is DVD decoding. Forget this card.
Upgrading the cpu would be better but expensive. So save your money.
Regards, DocMigru