ATI Drivers (TV WEonder 650 PCI) GRRR!?!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Man I wish Nvidia had TV Tuners (do they?). I bought a 650 PCI TV Wonder some time ago and it has been one problem after another! The drivers are always way late. It took forever to get proper Vista drivers and even then my Catalyst Media Center was only for XP, and to get an update which hadn't even been worked out yet, I was told on the website that I'd have to pay for Catalyst Media Center for Vista, and since I had Vista Business at the time I was SOL after I got drivers. So anyway, now I am running 7 and I can't get it to work once again and I get told on the ATI site something vague about maybe first quarter of 2010 I can get 7 drivers!

With Nvidia it almost seems as if I could get more than one driver updated daily for any currently viable product! Those guys are all over it! ATI however has been terrible in support of my card.

Why is there no way I can trick 7 into using the Vista drivers? I have never seen compatibility mode work for anything I have tried it on, but it seems to me 7 is so similar to Vista it should be able to utilize a Vista driver, though I am not at all versed in code or such matters.

Is there any way I can get this thing working in 7 so I can have TV in the computer room without having to boot away from 7?

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Vista and 7 uses basically the same drivers, so I guess there's no harm to trying it (maybe make a restore point just in case). I know that support for older ATi video cards was dropped for Windows 7 and people are using Vista drivers. I agree that nVidia has better driver support for old stuff (I have a GeForce 6800 that was supported right out of the bat on Win 7 RC, while my X800 XT PE would likely go undetected by default and require Vista drivers to work), but then nV aren't exactly the best when it comes to TV tuners ;)

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Nope, all it does is hang 3/4 of the way into the install and the only way to kill it is to force it. I tried running as admin and Vista compatibility mode to no avail. I need some way to force the driver if at all possible.

Associates