AT Pentium II Motherboard

3byrd

Is there any model that supports Pentium II on the AT form factor?

Mole

Mole

Seeing Mole
AT PII MB's (Whoah, I'd really managed to get many acronyms there! =P) I've seen so far are made by PCCHIPS. Aparently, they use PII chipsets from SiS?

I'm not sure about the details, but I know this from experience. Those MB's usually comes with on board AGP VGA and sound. They're dead cheap. And finally they're the crappiest PII MB's I've had my hands on. I'd recommend people to stay away from any MB's from PCCHIPS like the plague. Only buy those if you're really short on cash and don't mind your PC hangs once every 30 minutes or so for no aparent reason.

The best PII MB's to buy should be of Intel's chipsets such as LX or BX.

C

collinj

I currenty have a system with a Houston Technologies (pcchips) m715 mother board. This board is an AT form factor board. I have owned two boards from this company and have NEVER had any abnormal problems with them. My system is completely stable. The board is using the intel 440lx chipset. It has 1 agp slot (supports 2x agp), 3pci slots, and 2 isa slots. It has built on sound that to my suprise worked very well, but I disabled it because I had a SB AWE 64 card already when I got this board. It also supports sdram and edo ram. I have also ran comparative benchmarks to system using an asus p2l97 board and got better results from my system. Yes pcchips boards are cheap, but look for ones that use intel chipsets. Like mole said, the ones that do not use intel chipsets are unstable. Both boards from pcchips I have owned (my first was a i430vx chipset) from them have used intel's chipsets and have been very reliable stable boards. Also my PII board from them is jumperless for cpu settings. This is controlled in the bios, so it is a no brainer to change cpu's. But if you still are leary about the pcchips boards, check out ASUS. They are a very popular board manufacturer that is now offering an AT pentium II board. I have a friend that bought this board with a celeron 300 processor to upgrade his old P-100 system he got from gateway. The asus boards are some of the best on the market, and would be a good choice, but they are also some of the most expensive as well. Also note: the asus board that my friend got has built on pci based LAN. It also has only 3 pci slots.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
Collinj

C

collinj

I currenty have a system with a Houston Technologies (pcchips) m715 mother board. This board is an AT form factor board. I have owned two boards from this company and have NEVER had any abnormal problems with them. My system is completely stable. The board is using the intel 440lx chipset. It has 1 agp slot (supports 2x agp), 3pci slots, and 2 isa slots. It has built on sound that to my suprise worked very well, but I disabled it because I had a SB AWE 64 card already when I got this board. It also supports sdram and edo ram. I have also ran comparative benchmarks to system using an asus p2l97 board and got better results from my system. Yes pcchips boards are cheap, but look for ones that use intel chipsets. Like mole said, the ones that do not use intel chipsets are unstable. Both boards from pcchips I have owned (my first was a i430vx chipset) from them have used intel's chipsets and have been very reliable stable boards. Also my PII board from them is jumperless for cpu settings. This is controlled in the bios, so it is a no brainer to change cpu's. But if you still are leary about the pcchips boards, check out ASUS. They are a very popular board manufacturer that is now offering an AT pentium II board. I have a friend that bought this board with a celeron 300 processor to upgrade his old P-100 system he got from gateway. The asus boards are some of the best on the market, and would be a good choice, but they are also some of the most expensive as well. Also note: the asus board that my friend got has built on pci based LAN. It also has only 3 pci slots.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
Collinj

Associates