Asus v8200 GF3 Ram w/b build, ( just call me Rotor ;-)

H

HarldyWorking

I've been wanting to get into water cooling because, frankly, it facinates me. I love building things (this is why I'm an engineering student I think) and I've been reading bits and pieces of articles and what not on the web to find out more about it. I have the science of it, down to the mathmatics in my head. But the know-how of building it etc is just not there.

There are pros and cons about this thread:

Pro: Just gets me more excited about actually doing it when I finally learn.

Con: The shear enormity of the project and knowledge of what I don't know is overwelling.

Thanks BladeRunner,
You might be responsible for turning me into a junkie!

------------------
T-Bird [email protected]
ASUS A7V KT133
256MB PC133
ASUS V7700 Geforce2 GTS 64MB
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 X-Gamers
AOpen 12x40x DVD-ROM
WD 7200rpm 30gig HD
WD 7200rpm 20gig HD
-----
Hail to the King Baby!

[This message has been edited by ThunderSix (edited 07-01-2001).]

J

Jesstar

Huh?
I would love for you to come have a word with our machine shop CnC machinests, the quality you have aquired surpases most items that I have ever seen. WTF did you polish all the surfaces with?.
2nd xcan we see the final finished assembly sat direct onto the core/mem.
Cheers
.....Jess

------------------
My PC has an attitude problem, alright!...

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
I'd love some CNC equipment. I just used some metal files to get it to the shape I wanted. To finish I used varying grades of wet & dry, (wet), working down to a final 1200 grade. To get the finished shine you can't beat good old original T-Cut colour restorer and AutoGlym silicon resin car polish to finish. It takes time but you can do it while sitting watching TV
. I then finished by spray coating it with cellulose clear lacquer to prevent the metal tarnishing.

Finished pics will be up soon hopefully, check this thread for a recent update. <A HREF="http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/Forum11/HTML/015882.html" TARGET=_blank>Asus v8200 GF3 water-cooling part 2 (GPU)
</A>

GOSHARKS

GOSHARKS

not only does he have machining skills, bladerunner also posseses ms paint skills

nicely done

------------------
Visit my website!
look for me on AIM as gosanjose or on ICQ as #46997155

D

davidstone28

Even better than what my old metal work teacher at school could produce

How long did that take you?

M

mojo2000

How on earth did you cut those pieces out of one block? surely not with a Junior hacksaw...

Those are so straight

mojo

M

mcsys

This is really great work ! I just love it. If I would have the guts to have water hoses in my computer, I would try to build it.

Just a thought..
What about using underpressure to transport the water instaid of overpressure? Using a pump to suck the water out of the cooler and watertank. If there would be a leak, air would go in your water and not water in your computer..

T

TESKAn

Whoa, nice piece of work.
Ok, just want to say something about water on different computer components (graphic cards, CPU,...). It is not harmfull - when i started with water cooling, i wasn't enough careful. This resulted in water on graphic card and cpu. End - wiped it off, let it dried over night, plugged it in the next day and it worked. So i conclude - water doesn't destroy your components, it just disables them.

------------------
Addicted to overclock:).

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
Sucking water through the system still wouldn't totally avoid water getting out if it leaked. It is also worse in the fact that if you get an air leak in the system, (a leak small enough to let air in might not let water out) you will still get air in the pump, and water-blocks and flow would stop...... not good! Also most of the centrifugal aquarium pumps won't work to well with suction either.

My cooling system will not be pressurised as such, (under slight atmospheric of course), but the pump will be circulating the coolant in a similar way to a domestic central heating system.

Leaks are something you have to deal with the best you can during the build to hopefully ensure it wont happen. Water can destroy electronic components, count yourself very lucky if you recovered something that was leaked on.

I made sure the plastic pipes I used were very very hard to get on the barbs, so hard I got sore fingers doing it, and I also pressure test all my water blocks with compressed air at 2 bar (28psi) for about a week immersed in water. Even this wont guarantee a leak free system for ever, but it is the best I can do.

A

augustus

I'm jealous!

I've made a waterblock (99,9% copper) for my slot1 PIII using just an electrical drill like this one:

Inside waterblock:

Result (unpolished) after soldering -using my kitchen gas-stove:

So it is possible to make a waterblock without pro equipment.

[This message has been edited by augustus (edited 11-16-2001).]

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
Your pictures aren't working, but Good effort all the same. It's not impossible with a hand drill just harder and far more possibility of screwing it all up at any stage.

I've moved on btw try making this with your hand drill then =)

------------------
Stealth Cooling Project

O

ol' man

workin fingas to the bone
I am working on trying to make a pseudo drill press that will allow me to drill "somewhat straight." I may just go and see if the school I attend will allow me to use their equipment.

Hey you know what your copper on aluminum looks very close to what I am thinking of doing. Actually I have prototypes made from Plastic and copper sheets. I may have a pic around too.

Nice work.

O

ol' man

SHi# man I guess you gotta cut and paste into your addy bar then. Man what a joke.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
No that doesn't work, they are not pic urls, (no image tag name). It's some default message from one of those lame image hosting sites that won't allow linking. Trouble is it's in Double Duch so we can't understand it

augustus just mail me the pics and I'll host them if it's easier.

------------------
Stealth Cooling Project

D

DuronClocker

Hey Blade...is there any COMMON liquid (not LN2 lol) that I can use in my new watercooling system. I have a 66gph and a cool idea for my waterjacket. Flow rate does not matter the least bit. I know there have to be some liquids better than water to cool a system with. Maybe alcohol? I've thought about mercury but then remembered all the negatives (like its toxic, expensive, hard to get lol). My main things right now are water, distilled water, alcohol, or some type of oil. I don't know if the oil would ruin my pump though. Any help from any of you? Thanks!

------------------
MSI K7T Turbo-R (sweet)
dead duron...750 soon?
256MB PC150 CL2
S3 Savage2000 64MB AGP4x
Buslink 12x/40x DVD
Sony 12x/8x/32x CDRW
300w PSU + 150w AT (450w)

Ali 486 @200? soon?

T

TNproud2b

There's nothing much better than water. There are additives (like waterwetter) that claim to improve the thermal transfer abilities of water - but I doubt it makes any noticeable difference.

Adding ethylene glycol antifreeze will prevent corrosion...but it, too, can degrade the thermal transfer properties of water.

Alcohol has been tried already - it didn't work very well

O

ol' man

Originally posted by BladeRunner:
No that doesn't work, they are not pic urls, (no image tag name). It's some default message from one of those lame image hosting sites that won't allow linking. Trouble is it's in Double Duch so we can't understand it

augustus just mail me the pics and I'll host them if it's easier.

Dude it does work, how do you think I saw his pics. Try it you might like it

Simply cut and paste the addys I gave into your url addy bar above.

[This message has been edited by ol' man (edited 11-17-2001).]

Associates