Anyone had motion sickness from Half Life 2?

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I have played right through HL2 several times and never had a problem with feeling sick before. I decided to start playing through it again last week, but now every time I play it for more than an hour or so, I start to feel a bit queasy.

I've read that this may be due to HL2's field of view, which is 70 rather than the 90 more commonly used in FPS's. It's just weird that I've never had this before though, either with HL2 or any other game for that matter. Maybe I am just getting too old for gaming :D

I'm gonna try changing the field of view to 90 as some people have found that it helped. I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem though, and if you found a remedy?

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
Haven't had any problems personally, but then I never got sea sick either so I guess I don't count.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Rarely do I get sick either, but I never played HL2 at 4:3 either. I did 16:9 when I played it. Looks beautiful in widescreen, BTW. :)

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
I got motion sickness from it too - had to stop playing about half of the way through. Apparently changing the FOV back to a sensible value will stop it from happening :)

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
yeah I just did a two hour session with the FOV set to 90, and felt fine :)

stopped to watch that Planet Earth series on BBC1 though, pretty awesome filming the beeb have done there

Shervie2

Shervie2

I used to play SOFII online with a couple of buddys. I didnt last 30 mins in there. Headache and stomach rolling. Never had a problem with HL2 though.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Some people also had problems with the "ear ringing" sound effect when you get badly hit in HL2... I have to admit it's pretty damn freaky the first time you hear (and almost feel) it.

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
dannyboy27 said:
yeah I just did a two hour session with the FOV set to 90, and felt fine :)
What, exactly, did you do to make that happen? I remember last time I installed HL2 I tried a few things from the Steam forums, but nothing seemed to change anything.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Tuttle,

I just enabled the console, then enter the following:

sv_cheats 1 <enter>

fov 90 <enter>

:)

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

equinoxe3d said:
Some people also had problems with the "ear ringing" sound effect when you get badly hit in HL2... I have to admit it's pretty damn freaky the first time you hear (and almost feel) it.
Yeah, that effect really surprised me the first time I heard it. It's pretty cool though.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
I'm really enjoying playing this game through again. It's amazing how good the graphics still look, a year or so after it was released :)

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
dannyboy27 said:
I'm really enjoying playing this game through again. It's amazing how good the graphics still look, a year or so after it was released :)

I am still Playing it too. :D

The graphics are awesome, still the best I have seen yet in any game that I have played. :)

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

Well, most games are designed to get better as hardware improves. Really, when those games are launched, the average system is just barely good enough to play it. One really ancient example in my mind is Quake 2. When that game came out, I had to play it in 320x200 software mode! 2-3 years later, however, it was possible to play it at 1280x1024, and I was amazed at the extra detail that was available. Games that are designed to take advantage of next generation hardware are always nice!

pacifier

pacifier

ProArt
If I haven't played a FPS in a while, and I get on, I'll have a few moments of vertigo.

I remember when I first got ahold of a FPS game where the vertical motion wasn't locked (like it was in the original DOOM). It took a while for me to get totally comfortable with it.

Sometimes in games with really rich and active environments, I'll start getting frustrated...no sick, but I just feel, overwhelmed maybe. The latest edition of Unreal Tournament gets to me.

Most FPS games make me feel a little wierd until I stuff the visual feed into my neural cortex recepter. Then I'm fine.