Any way to add additional hard drive?

M

Magoo5289

I had a hard drive recently and I went out and bought one three tiems the size. the dead drive was in warrantee so I had a new one RMA'd and it should be here any day. My problem is that I have no additional slots in my PC for another hard drive. Would it be possible to duct tape it to the bottom of my drive bay? (slides out underneath my CDROM rack) Or is there a better way to do it? I'm all set on power connectors and with ATA controllers (I have a addon card)

------------------
P4 1.5 GHZ
Intel D850GB
384 MB PC800 RDRAM
Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO
SoundBlaster Live Value
Promise ATA133/TX2
3com 10/100 NIC
HomeFree Phoneline NIC

MuFu

MuFu

Do you have a free 5' 1/2" bay? You could always install it in that with an adapter. If not... then you can mount it anyway and anywhere you want, giving respect to cable lengths/airflow needs.

I'd consider getting a larger case if you are full up. Cramped cases are usually ovens!

MuFu.

------------------
[email protected](11x152MHz)
Kula Masta [email protected]
KG7R
Krewtial 512MB
Raydion [email protected]/640MHz
60GXP 60GB
75GXP 30GB
SBLyve! 5.1
PlecksRyta 16/10/40A
Pie-on-ear 16x DVD
LG Phlatron 795FT+
WyndoesXP

Todd a

Todd a

I'm not much for duct tape, but zip-ties are nice. Just make sure it is mounted securely.

------------------
AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
Sound Blaster Audigy
Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS

GOSHARKS

GOSHARKS

duct tape would probably hold some heat in, too much would be bad for a hard drive. like todd, i would go with zip ties (if i had too
)

------------------
Visit my website!
look for me on AIM as GoSh4rks or on ICQ as #46997155

S

Swedishlf

Another thing with the duct tape is the you've got to be carefull not to cover the vent hole...

Zip ties look like the best answer.

------------------
Stupidity should be painful.

M

Magoo5289

My case heat is very low actually. I have a bunch of fans. What are zip ties and where can I get them? I can't say I've ehard of them.... I've used up all of 5 1/4 bays already and don't havw enough at the moment to get another box.

------------------
P4 1.5 GHZ
Intel D850GB
384 MB PC800 RDRAM
Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO
SoundBlaster Live Value
Promise ATA133/TX2
3com 10/100 NIC
HomeFree Phoneline NIC

AMD Guy

AMD Guy

Zip ties are also refered to as 'tie wraps'. Either use the tie wraps or match drill 2 to 4 holes in the bottom of your case and bolt it in. I have done this in the past on a friends system who ran out of room.

Associates