AMD cpu temp

D

DigiTec

what's an acceptable cpu tempature? it's getting so damn hot that my computer is hitting 50C.

R

Rusty3478

If its an AMD you need to e-mail them to get the anwser. Im running on an AMD K6-2 350 and I had the same question when I got it but unfortunitly I for got the answer. you can get amd's e-mail at www.AMD.com

Rusty

R

Rifter

Mine is 42c at 100% usage (as it always is beacuse i crack RC5)

P.S. It's also at 2.5v as its a overclocked K6-2 400 at 448.

J

JGene

Here's my rule of thumb for CPU temperatures:

Under 20C Excellent
20-30C Better than average (room temperature)
30-40C Ambient
40-50C Warm
50-60C Hot
Over 60C BBQ

If your chip is getting up to 50C, I'd just go and get a better fan--your chip shouldn't be running that hot. The most probable cause is that your fan isn't rated to cool your processor. Your fan should be able to keep your processor at temperatures somewhere under 50C. I'd reccommend you get one by GlobalWin or one of those new Alpha fans.

-JGene

D

DigiTec

yeah i just remember that i had rain off. now it's like 32C under normal use but back to 45C when i play games.

B

bante

Hi, I have just got an AMD 500. I don't have a fan at the moment. The temperature goes up to 67C (I watched it at the BIOS). That's why my computer got hang after I pressed the power button for 2 mins.

My questions: The temperature problem is so serious. Can a fan and a heatsink solve the problem?

thank you very much!!
Ben

H

HomeLAN

Bante -

Never, ever, under any circumstances run that chip for more than 1 minute without a heatsink/fan installed.

I'm surprised it still works...

T

Tornado

My K6-2 hit 50C running seti, then I got a bigger heatsink and fan and now it stays at about 46C.

R

rarraflled

The last time I ran a CPU without a HSF was when I had a Cyrix PR200+. It lasted a few minutes and then fried my motherboard. Melted plastic does not smell good. My AMD k6-II [email protected] ran at about 36c with a FEP32 at full load.

Q

Quatroux

Well my Athlon 600 run as at 100*F at a full load with a case temp of 77*F. Think this comes out to 38*C cpu and 26*C case. Well I don't have a conversion table in front of me so it's just a guess. This is with a single cpu fan, but dual case fans.

------------------
www.quatroux.8k.com

K

kevin-r

It is amazing to see so many varied temps. Are any/all of you overclocking? I am running my AMD K6-2 [email protected] and my idle temps are about 42-45C. If I close everything down and run SETI it runs about the same temp. I have gathered that at idle a 550 @ 43C is high?

By the way I have an Alpha PAL6035 heatsink with YS Tech fan @ 23cfm, the power supply fan and one average case fan (pulls in air). I have ordered a Sunon 120mm 131cfm fan for the case to see if this helps with cooling.

Comments please!

thanks

kevin-r

[This message has been edited by kevin-r (edited 06-28-2000).]

H

HomeLAN

kevin-r -

43C at idle isn't too bad, won't fry anything. However, you'd do your self a favor by downloading Rain 2.0, CPUIdle, or a similar program. This will bring down your idle temp by 6-10 degrees, even though it'll be less effective as CPU usage goes up. Particularly if you leave the PC on for extended periods, this can really help your stability, CPU life, etc.

P

PHaTPro

k6-2/500 crashed like crazy with a cheap *** heatsink at 50c. i got an alpha that people suggested, now at 42c max. no more crashing! the heatsink makes a huge difference! if your computer is crashing for no reason... maybe get a new heatsink? it worked for me.

S

S_Klass

Rain 2.0 & CPU Idle both work to cool the CPU by executing a "HLT" (Halt) instruction to the processor to put itself into a suspend mode when it is not actively computing. The HLT instructions offer the benefit of lower power consumption when the CPU is idle and thus a lowering the CPU's temps at the same time.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

R

ReB

My system is a K62-500 @ 558 (124*4.5)
Mobo - Epox MVP3-G2
Core Voltage - 2.5
Idle Temp - 34c
Loaded Temp - 42-44c (SETI)
HS-Fan - Globalwin FKP32
Cooling Software - Rain 2.0

S

Strat

Reb, I have a Epox MVP3-G2 motherboard running a K6-3 400 @ 448 (112 x 4) 2.8 Vcore. My motherboard only goes to 112 Bus and there is no voltage setting for 2.5. my jumps from 2.4 to 2.8 then 2.9 ,etc. Is there something i am missing here? did they make 2 different boards or what? or did you type the wrong model number or something. Just curious.

By the way, i am using a Globalwin 6035 with 27 CFM fan. keeps mine at 35 degrees C running SETI.