All of you people with FOP38 or Delta fans please come for a gathering!

serb2

serb2

Hello all!
This goes to all of the owners of the Fop38's and the USERS OF DELTA FANS(black labels) I am wondering how you people quiet down the whine of this sucker I mean what are the ways lets all throw the facts out and we all get our info or thoughts and then what ever is the best we all use I hope then that will help all of us once! I want your opinons what ya have on your minds if this comes usefull we can use it and se if we can quiet down the thing!
Thank you
Alex D

------------------
WRMMMMM
Excuse Me! What ya said? I can't HEAR YOU

AMDnut

AMDnut

Small Form Factor Advisor
Hey serb2!

I don't know of much to quiet the whine. I do use rubber grommets and/or foam padding between the fan and the aluminum shroud on my ALPHA. That seems to help quiet vibration a little.
A lot of people have had good luck with lining the sides of the case with Dynamat as well. It's a sound deadening material with an adhesive back. Check out this article on it here: http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/dynamat.shtml
Hope this helps!

------------------
Duron [email protected]
Abit KT7 RAID

http://members.tripod.com/athlon100/index.htm]AMDnut's Tech Page

J

Jeronkie

Hi!

For the dudes that uses a FOP38, my opinion is:
Get rid of that 60X60mm 38CFM fan. Mount a larger 80 X 80mm or even 92 X 92mm on the back of the case, next to the I/O ports.

Build a duct from the mounted case fan to the naked heatsink.

The idea is to get a fan that has a > CFM rating than the original 60X60mm fan @ a lower noise level.

Go to the site of delta themselves and look at the MM series- you'll see what I mean.

The 60X60 @ 6800 RPM and 37.61CFM has a noise level of 46.5dB-A.
The 80X80 @ 4000 RPM and 46.62CFM has noise level of 40 dB-A.
I recken a duct isn't even that necessary-> you can try to mount a bigger fan on to the heatsink.
Cheers

------------------
Duron [email protected]
Asus A7V
Geforce DDR
SB Live! Value
IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30Gb
19" LG 995E
160MB [email protected] CAS2

P

Paragon

I have a fpo38-1 with the delta black label.. and it isnt really load at all, but a few others i had used at work sound like a jet engine.

S

stevvie

I have a Delta on my Alpha6035 and when I first installed it it whinned like a banshee. After applying some ZX1 (Mico Lubrication) the whinning ceassed after about 3 days and now all I can hear from it is the Air Tubulance.

PS. I applied this lubication to ALL my fans and it has made all off them quieter, And some of them FASTER according MBM5 and Via Hardware Monitor. Only By about 100-200 RPM But it all counts.

------------------
-T-Bird [email protected] PalAlpha6035+Delta
-Abit KT7
-2x128mb PC133Cas2
-Geforce2GTS
-Proview 770 (17 inch) monitor
-Sblive
-2X DiamondMAX 52049H3 (20gig)
-Memorex CRW 2642 CDRW
-ADSL512 (Nildram)

K

Kroblanx

Just recently bought my FOP38 w/ Delta and very much satisfied by its performance... Yes, it's loud but after a while I got used to it...The trade-off between performance and noise is well worth it.

I don't know what's this preoccupation with quiet fans...We're not building ordinary office computers here. These oced rigs are geared for one thing..all-out performance. Putting a fan like this in your computer is like attaching a turbo or supercharger in your car...If you look at it in this perspective, then the noise won't matter much...

[This message has been edited by Kroblanx (edited 01-29-2001).]

serb2

serb2

Well I hear better and better Options! Well i tried the OIL thing and the fan is little only little quieter but it still makes the whining sound! Question though will the sound danding material increase temparatures???
Any other thoughs??
Alex D

------------------
WRMMMMM

S

Soul Apathy

I installed a switch for my FOP-38 ..when I am online...or just doing small things like writing, etc I turn it off...my temps never exceed 35c. I hasve MBM setup to turn off if my temps ever exceed 130 F, so that is one solution for the loud fan syndrome...

------------------
Abit KT7-R 1 GHz (Tbird) @ 1.210 100x11.5 1.800v
105 MHz FSB
FOP-38
384 MB SD-133
2 30 GB ATA-100 (RAID 0)
60 GB ATA-100 @ 66 (IDE)
Voodoo 4 4500 AGP
TV/FM Card
Poineer 12x DVD
8x4x32x CD-RW
TB-Santa Cruz Dolby 5.1

M

Markie

Had mine for about two weeks now,and it does seem to get quieter.I hardly notice it now!!

FOP-38 RULE!!

------------------
ATHLON 1GHZ @ 1.07GHZ FOP-38:)
AZ-11 MOBO
128 HYUNDAI PC133
GEFORCE 256 PRO
S.B PLATINUM
ENCORE PC DVD5X
SCSI 4X CDR
SEAGATE 7200 28GIG
SEAGATE 4.3GIG

serb2

serb2

Turning the whole unit off isint that to dangerous if you forgot to turn it on?? What happens if you load up a game or somehting and forgot to turn it on, I guess then youl see fireworks

Alex D

------------------
WRMMMMM

M

m1x

Originally posted by Markie:
Had mine for about two weeks now,and it does seem to get quieter.I hardly notice it now!!

You mean now you are half deaf

The best bet is to file it under B. Get your self a larger lower rpm fan(much much quieter)as Jeronkie even suggested. It works.

<edited to repair Quote>

[This message has been edited by Maxout (edited 01-30-2001).]

J

Jeronkie

Just to explain what I'm talking about:
I bought my duron and received that crappy EKL 20704001007 cooler that Tom reviewed aswell.

I bought the crome orb afterwards and noticed a +/- 3ºC improvement with the orb.

I accedentaly broke of one of the fan-blades of the orb last night.(Hope it makes sense
)
I could only fall back to the original EKL 20704001007.

I decided to lap the sink and fitted a low budget 80X80mm fan that I got with my Aopen HQ08 case.

Result: the EKL 20704001007 performed 3ºC better than the orb! At a much lower noise level.

Anyways..cheers

------------------
Duron [email protected]
Asus A7V
Geforce DDR
SB Live! Value
IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30Gb
19" LG 995E
160MB [email protected] CAS2

L

Little Bennie

I just a an FOP38 in the mail yesterday and it didn't come with any documentation. Anyone know where i can get some info on installing this thing?

G

greatmatt

Hey, anandtec has an article about a new HSF from ThermalTake. It is called the Volcano II, I think. It is supposed to move 36cfm, but it runs at like 4600rpm(?) and 31dba. Sounds to me like a fan capable of competing with the FOP38 but quite a bit quieter. Have any of you guys heard anything else about this?

------------------
WHASSSSUUUUP???

M

Markie

Hey m1x could you speak up,I didn't catch that!!

no,really it sounds at least 30% quieter than when I first got it!

------------------
ATHLON 1GHZ @ 1.07GHZ FOP-38:)
AZ-11 MOBO
128 HYUNDAI PC133
GEFORCE 256 PRO
S.B PLATINUM
ENCORE PC DVD5X
SCSI 4X CDR
SEAGATE 7200 28GIG
SEAGATE 4.3GIG

serb2

serb2

Well Little Bennie all you have to do is seat the heatsink straight connect the back clip first then the clip use the flat head screw driver and puss on to it and with a finger push the clip into the lock! Just make sure the Screw driver dosent slip from the clip and kill your MB!
Alex D

------------------
WRMMMMM

Associates